• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Whirlpool Hops not sorting by steep time

BrewDorg

Apprentice
Reaction score
Having an issue with whirlpool hop ordering on the recipe designer. It doesn't seem to be grouping them correctly based on steep time, it just order them by name/weight as usual. See the second entry for Mandarina Bavaria. I would expect that hops are grouped by steep time.

I49so6Cl.png

I am having the same issue- tried adding hops in order of whirlpool addition, reversing the longest hop additions to zero, nothing seems to stick to get the additions in the correct order.  Any solutions out there?

Hello there!

I'm struggling with the same issue. Does anyone have a solution or fix for this??

Many thanks and Happy brew everyone!

david

This is a known issue that has been discussed elsewhere.  Right now there is no work around for setting the hops in the correct order for whirlpooling that I know of.

Thanks Oginme, I'll deal with it for the moment ;-)

I see that this problem is still true a year later in Beersmith 3 Trial.  Is there any word if this will ever be fixed?

This has been fixed in BS3.  The hops now line up according to time of addition so that those hops in the whirlpool the longest are first and those that are the shortest steep time are last.  If you are seeing differently, post the recipe and we can look to see how to correct this.

So ordering by Steep time is not enough - IMO the ordering should be by temperature... Here is what I mean.

I just brewed an IPA and (using my electric system and plate chiller) I did the following:

1. Chilled from Boil to 190 F - I added 2 oz Citra and 2 oz Mosaic for 20 minutes - recirculated with heat to maintain 190
2. Chilled from 190 F to 165 F - added 1 oz Citra, 1 oz Mosaic for 30 minutes at the 20 minute steep mark - recirculated with heat to maintain 165
3. Chilled from 165 F to 155 F - added 1 oz Citra, 1 oz Mosaic for 30 minutes at the 50 minute steep mark - recirculated with heat to maintain 155

The finished the Chill and into the fermenter...

Beersmith ordered the hops by time of insertion and not by temperature step down.

Back