• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

cider - dry hopping

jtoots

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Why not get this new thread started?!  Has anyone ever dry hopped a cider?  Thinking about giving my next batch a couple ounces of tettnang that I have left over from another.

I have dry hopped a mead... it needed more hops. the hops were apparent just not in your face :)
I used 0.35oz(10 grams) of Mosaic for a 5 gallon (19)litre batch

I will up that to 1oz (28.3grams) next time

I've done an apple/pear and an apple/pineapple. Halletuer and Cascade. Both turned out very well and received a lot of compliments on both. I didn't back sweeten so both were on the dryer side but the hops actually made it taste a little sweeter compared to the base without the hops. The first batch (apple/pear) I split into 3 one gallon jugs. One gal no hop, one gallon .2 oz of halletaur, the last gal .2 of cascade. The base was pretty dry. The other two were good. I dry hopped them for 12 days. The second was a apple/pineapple 5 gallon batch. 2 oz cascade in the secondary. Hopped for about 12 days. Won second in a local competition. It was a little dry but very drinkable. I enjoy the slight hop aroma and flavor in the cider. I will do another apple something once my grape cider completes. Intend to back sweeten this one after the dry hopping.

whitsosa said:
I've done an apple/pear and an apple/pineapple. Halletuer and Cascade. Both turned out very well and received a lot of compliments on both. I didn't back sweeten so both were on the dryer side but the hops actually made it taste a little sweeter compared to the base without the hops. The first batch (apple/pear) I split into 3 one gallon jugs. One gal no hop, one gallon .2 oz of halletaur, the last gal .2 of cascade. The base was pretty dry. The other two were good. I dry hopped them for 12 days. The second was a apple/pineapple 5 gallon batch. 2 oz cascade in the secondary. Hopped for about 12 days. Won second in a local competition. It was a little dry but very drinkable. I enjoy the slight hop aroma and flavor in the cider. I will do another apple something once my grape cider completes. Intend to back sweeten this one after the dry hopping.

NICE!!

Hey guys,
I'm new to cider making. Was more concentrated on beer brewing for the last 15 years.

How much and what do you use for sweetening after dry hoping?

Thanks, Phil.

Back