• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Coconut Oil

bobo1898

Grandmaster Brewer
Master Brewer
Reaction score
Going to brew a Coconut Porter soon. I've read all about the coconut flakes and adding them to secondary.

Was curious if I could add coconut oil at flameout? Would this destroy head retention? Perhaps the yeast would strip it's flavor? I cook quite a bit with it and find that the subtle coconut flavor stays with the food and wondered what would happen if I added it to my beer.

Most beers don't fare well with the addition of various oils.  I've not personally tried coconut oil, but most oils contain lipids (fats) which do kill head retention.

Greetings bobo - I also believe adding any oil would be devistating to your brew.  I have read many articles that point to using lightly toasted coconut.  If you can find shaved coconut (not shredded), then roast it and add it to the secondary.  I'm sorry, but I can't offer any more information than that.

BYO had an article about brewing with coconut in November 2016.  Perhaps you can find that article.

Hope this helps!

Good Luck!

Thanks guys. That's what I was afraid of.

I'll check out that article too!

Back