• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

RE: Diastetic Power

SplitHop

Apprentice
Reaction score
So as if my life was not one big Murphy law already, I just finished brewing a batch of Russian imperial Stout.  To per-curse the article on Diastetic power within grains, represented by that little L deg. value which I am sure some have like me, looked at and disregarded, has bit me in the fermenter.

I wish this article had come out two weeks ago brad, my Diastetic power for my grain bill came out to 35.  Had I have know this I would have done a longer mash for sure.  Sure it is within the suggested reading level for conversion but still way on the low side of the spectrum.  I am now sitting on a beer (10 gal.) worth that is hovering at a 1.035 gravity and looks like it isnt going to drop any more.  This will leave me at a 6.5% ABV which is 3% short of the goal for this beer.

So for those of you out there that have never considered this little calculation, read the article now, really will save you from wishing for the right gravity.  So you can see the math, this was my grain bill for this beer.

Munich Breiss 10L 28 lbs. (28 x 10L = 280)
Pilsner German 2 Row 110L 8 lbs. (8 x 110L = 880)
Caramel Munich 60L 4 lbs. (4 x 60L - 240)

Add them all together and you get 1400 and divide it by the total grain bill of 35 give you a whopping 35.  Ugh.

Anyway thought you all would at least find this entertaining, laugh all you want, next time will be a crusher batch.

You're mixing up the "Ls". The Briess Munich is 10L(Lovibond), which is the color.  Its diastatic power is 40  Lintner. Likewise for the Caramel Munich 60L. which has very little diastatic power. The pilsner you're OK on diastatic power, but the color is around 1 or 2 Lovibond.
This calculates out as follows (even if the Caramel Munich has no diastatic)  power:

Munich Breiss 10L 28 lbs. (28 x 40 = 1120)
Pilsner German 2 Row 110L 8 lbs. (8 x 110L = 880)
Caramel Munich 60L 4 lbs. (4 x0 = 0)
Total diastatic power =  2000/35=57

Assuming your mash duration was reasonable (60 - 75Mins.) I'd look elsewhere for your conversion problem.

Without knowing the pre-boil numbers I'd have to guess a fermentation problem is most likely the culprit.  Not enough healthy yeast, insufficient aeration/oxygenation, or alcohol tolerance of the yeast would be primary considerations.

I'm guilty of not usually checking pre-boil numbers, but certainly would on high gravity beers if I brewed them.

Back