Author Topic: Grainfather Equipment Profile different from GF calculators  (Read 7579 times)

Offline kevino

• BeerSmith Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 1 GR8 Program
Re: Grainfather Equipment Profile different from GF calculators
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2018, 11:45:43 PM »
I close/open the beer smith and it?s working fine now. According to the Kevino?s post. But I still want to change some configuration in order to reduce the sparge water in 1 liter.

Hi Dariva,

I think this will adjust by playing with your grain absorbtion rate (options>advanced). Have a play with Grain absorption. Drop it to maybe 0.64 or something. I think this should work.

Cheers, Kevino
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!!

Offline Oginme

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Goats, guitars, and a home brew; Life is good!
    • Longvu LaManchas
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2018, 05:20:52 AM »
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the Grainfather a mash and boil in the same vessel?  If so, then there should not be any value to the lauter tun loss which you have set to 3.41 liters.  You then make up the volume difference in topping off the kettle before the boil.  Are you actually doing this?

It seems to me that you need to do a full volume balance around your Grainfather to see where the discrepancy of 1 liter is coming from.  It may be that your boil off is lower than what you have set it for or that your grain absorption is off, but without doing a measured volume in versus volumes out, you may just be chasing yourself trying to balance out your process.
Recycle your grains, feed them to a goat!

Offline kevino

• BeerSmith Brewer
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2018, 11:52:44 AM »
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the Grainfather a mash and boil in the same vessel?  If so, then there should not be any value to the lauter tun loss which you have set to 3.41 liters.  You then make up the volume difference in topping off the kettle before the boil.  Are you actually doing this?

It seems to me that you need to do a full volume balance around your Grainfather to see where the discrepancy of 1 liter is coming from.  It may be that your boil off is lower than what you have set it for or that your grain absorption is off, but without doing a measured volume in versus volumes out, you may just be chasing yourself trying to balance out your process.

Yes you're right...I have tweaked my equipment profile since my first post, and removed any value from Lauter Tun Loss, changed to 0.00, and added 3.41 to Mash tun Addition, and ticked "Adjust Mash Vol for losses".
This profile is still a bit of a work in progress for me, and the first submission i made was a starting point for others (& myself). For instance I have also since my first posting found my boil off to be closer to 3 litres an hour. You really need to do a few brews and adjust from there to suit the actual losses / additions you need to make.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 10:39:48 PM by kevino »

Offline dariva

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2018, 01:14:57 PM »
Thank you Kevino and Oginme for your tips. I just did the configuration you both said and now I am getting the same volumes of the GF calculators (except for sparge which I get now 1 liter less than the GF calculator, but that is what I need to get the OG and FG perfectly). Cheers

Offline razzer35

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2018, 07:33:28 AM »
Kevino you seem to be making this mine field a little easier for me to manoeuvre. Thanks. With regards to the change of 3.41 from lauter loss to addition do I still keep the 3.41 in the top up field?

Offline kevino

• BeerSmith Brewer
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2018, 05:30:49 PM »
Kevino you seem to be making this mine field a little easier for me to manoeuvre. Thanks. With regards to the change of 3.41 from lauter loss to addition do I still keep the 3.41 in the top up field?

Hi Razzer35,

I set up my ale 60min profile lately as below. FYI - For a lager equipment profile I increase brehouse efficiency to 80% from 75, as I find this difference between ales & lagers.
Mashtun Vol: 30L
Mash Tun Weight: 9.30kg
Mash Tun Spec heat: 0.12
Mash tun Addition: 3.41L
Lautertun Losses: Nil
Adjust Mash Vol for losses: ticked
Top up water for kettle: Nil
Calculate boil vol Auto: Unticked
Boil Vol: 28L
Boil Time: 60Min
Boil Off: 3L
Use boil off as an hourly rate: ticked
Cooling shrinkage: 4%
Loss to trub etc will depend on your fermenter.

Other important thing is setting your mash profiles correctly. Water/Grain ratio = 2.713L/kg

Hope that helps.

Offline razzer35

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2018, 05:57:14 PM »
Thanks man!

modification