• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

retaining malt characteristics when converting a clone from all grain to extract

rx35285

Apprentice
Reaction score
Greetings - Does BeerSmith take into account the malt characteristics of the recipe when converting?

I'd like to convert this all grain clone recipe...  http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/759762/ayinger-maibock-clone-clone-brews  ....to an extract with malt characteristics as close as possible to the all grain recipe.

The more malt forward and aromatic ingredients seem to convert to "less malty" ingredients.  For example it appears that the Munich I grain was converted to Amber extract and the Aromatic specialty grain was converted to Caravienne.  Are these issues that should be addressed?

I should mention that none of the specialty grains converted on my first conversion try.  I got a message that said.."Could not convert the following grains.  Please convert manually: Munich Dark 30L (Gambrinus)"  Then I inverted the order of the ingredients and got results for the specialty grains and extracts, although I did get the same  message about the Gambrinus.

Thanks for your reading this far!  I really appreciate your help.

The program attempts to find good substitutes.  Note that you can manually input your own name substitutes if you edit a grain entry from Ingredients->Grains.  However many third party add-ons have not entered substitutes which is likely the problem with the Gambrinus.

Regarding matching "maltiness" again it depends as the program tries to make closest substitutes and then also match color, OG and bitterness.  This can lead to unexpected results in some cases especially for light colored beers as malt extract is much darker than pale or pilsner malt base.

Brad

Back