• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Multiple computer access configuration issues (Google Drive method)

DJ_L3ThAL

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have two computers at home one for my brew shed and one inside the house. I have successfully been running Beersmith 2 on both of them with the data directory pointing to my Google Drive (Desktop version installed on both computers). But recently due to unknown reasons one of the copies was 'lagging' in data, I noticed this as some notes in a recent recipe were only showing on one computers Beersmith and not the other. I'm always very careful not to run both Beersmith installs on the two computers at the same time, but thinking perhaps due to internet connectivity maybe one instance had file permission issues because the other computer was uploading to Google Drive the updates when it tried to access.

I played around trying to reinstall Beersmith on the computer that was not up to date but it still does not appear to be rectified and after further digging appears to be running from additional data files created on the Google drive. For example the Recipe.bsmx files has two versions, "Recipe.bsmx" and also "Recipe (1).bsmx", this is the same for a lot of files such as "CustField.bsmx", "Notes.bsmx","Search.bsmx", "Carbonation.bsmx" and a few others in the Beersmith directory.

Now I have tried uninstalling from the computer that is not up to date and then deleting the "duplicate" files and re-installing hoping that it picks up the proper copy, but it appears to just pickup from the correct spot (has the most up to date data), but still duplicates the files and ends up not having the same data as the other computer if I save any changes to recipes or recipe notes.

Anyone know the best way to install to ensure both computers will use the same files and not creates duplicate files?

Are you sure the "duplicate" files aren't just the backups?  I run Beersmith2 under Linux so things are somewhat different, but it creates backup files automatically so for example I have Yeast.bsmx Yeast1.bsmx etc up to Yeast5.bsmx on my machine.

The problem you're seeing really seems to me like it's within the Google Drive sync process, not Beersmith2.

Just for comparison, are you able to set up where your files are on a local network share instead of Drive?  (disclaimer:  I have 15 Linux systems on my home network, one Windows, [30 Linux and 2 Windows in the network center I run for a living] so can't walk you through the details of doing that)

From Beersmith's perspective those two should be effectively the same. (though storage machine must be running and there's no cloud backup - so not a solution, just a diagnostic step)  If it works fine with local network shares then the problem is pretty certain to be tied directly to Google Drive.  I've had endless little burps and hiccups, and occasionally files/data reverting to older versions, with Google Drive-linked apps syncing between two Android devices.

j

Back