• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

ascorbic acid

carboy7

Apprentice
Reaction score
I just got your brewing software and gave it a look over. I noticed that you listed Ascorbic Acid in your misc. section. I cannot remember exactly where, but I did read in a brewing mag, that in order for ascorbic acid to be able to absorb oxygen it needed to bond with some other element. This was thought to be bad for beer, and the author highly recomended not ever using it in beer. Maybe someone can shed some light on this.  ???

Hi,
 Well after doing some research I can see that the reference I used may have been out of date.  I found several references to more recent research at the University of Texas.

Ascorbic acid is a good antioxident, but needs low Ph and sulfur dioxide to work well and can in some cases result in off tastes when used in beer.

I will update the description and post it as a data update in the next few days.

I will leave it on the MISC list - as you can still use it for wine recipes as well as as a preservative for home-made soda.

Thanks for catching this!
Brad

Back