• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

650L herms coil dimension

mikkelflott

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am building a 650 liters HERMS-brew-system. I would like to use 3/4" piping/hose. Does anyone know if it's realistic to use 15m of 3/4" stainless steel pipe as HERMS coil? Or would less do? The HLT will be powered by 3x8500W heat-elements.

I can't seem to find any information about dimension of HERMS-coils, in larger systems.

Thanks
/Mikkel

mikkelflott said:
I am building a 650 liters HERMS-brew-system. I would like to use 3/4" piping/hose. Does anyone know if it's realistic to use 15m of 3/4" stainless steel pipe as HERMS coil? Or would less do? The HLT will be powered by 3x8500W heat-elements.
It depends on how fast you want to move wort through the coil. I don't think you'll get very much heat exchanged in such a short coil, but it'll depend on the heat differential between wort and water, plus the speed of the wort.

The main issue is whether you're going to collapse the mash bed. I would strongly recommend a manometer, so you can maintain equilibrium between the mash and under screen.

I can't seem to find any information about dimension of HERMS-coils, in larger systems.

That's because HERMS is a more common homebrew technique. Normally, profile mashes are accomplished with more direct heating procedures. Often the mash vessel is heated directly or the wort is recirculated through an external vessel (like the kettle). Professional brewers don't usually like to lose heat from the HLT because it costs too much time.

The main issue is whether you're going to collapse the mash bed. I would strongly recommend a manometer, so you can maintain equilibrium between the mash and under screen.

I was thinking about using a grant, with a float switch controlling the pump. But it might be easier just putting the heat element under the screen in the MLT. I have a 60 liters brew setup that works that way - and it's running fine :) I was thinking that I could minimize the volume of dead space under the screen - but I think there will be toooo much guesswork involved :(

Back to the drawing board :)

Hey guys,

I am also in the process of constructing my own brewhouse, 500 litre HERMS system. Could you post some photos or let me know if the setup you went for is working?

Cheers!

Back