• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

efficiency ?

Simie

Brewer
Reaction score
Okay, so we've been brewing for 8 years and don't know why I waited so long: When I add ingredients from say Northern Brewer @(65% eff) into Beersmith my estimated gravity is always lower than what the receipe states sometime 5 point low.
Any advise for an old fella here on how to correct this in BS
Thanks Brewers
Stay Thirsty

That efficiency number they give means that if your efficiency is 65% you should be right on, or very close to, their estimated gravity.

Different brewing systems and processes will yield different results for a given recipe. A recipe and the brewing process you use would be helpful in narrowing down possible ways to address your concerns.

Any pre-measured kit that you get has an estimated efficiency based upon a 'typical' process.  It is not specific to your particular process, which means that it does not necessarily have the same water volumes: boil off rate, dead space volume, grain absorption, or extraction efficiency as your process.  BeerSmith's predictions should be reasonably close IF your process has the same brewhouse efficiency that is the basis for the recipe, but never expect them to be nuts on every time.

Thank you gentlemen for taking the time to give me an informative answer to my questions. Looks like I need to do a little noodling and figure out my brewhouse efficiency.

Again, thank you very much for your time
Simie

You can find the actual BHE number on the 'session' tab of your recipe.  See attached screen shot.

Attachments

• BHE calc capture.JPG
    BHE calc capture.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 387
Back