Author Topic: Using coconut in a stout  (Read 5944 times)

Offline stcampbell

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • Life is too short to drink boring beer!
Using coconut in a stout
« on: November 28, 2016, 02:15:15 AM »
Hi,

Currently have an all-grain Imperial stout in primary in a stainless conical fermenter.  I am going to add some bourbon soaked vanilla beans after primary is finished.  (I don't rack to a secondary).  OG was 1.120 and FG is projected at 1.028 to yield a 12% final product. 

I want to try adding some toasted coconut to a portion of the beer as an experiment.  I will fill a demijohn and add the coconut to 3-4 L of beer.

My question is how much coconut to add?  Do I toast it first?  Should I use a blend of toasted and raw coconut?  I would imagine that it is the oils I want from the coconut, but worry that toasting will reduce the oils present.  Any recommendation on how long to leave the coconut in the beer? 

I would think that 100g of toasted coconut (in 3-4 L) in a muslin bag for about a week would impart the flavour I am hoping for, but that is a total guess...

Feedback from anyone with experience would be most helpful! 

Cheers

KellerBrauer

Re: Using coconut in a stout
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 03:12:31 PM »
Greetings stcampbell - as it turns out, BYO had an article in the November 2016 issue about your exact question.  I just checked their website and they have still not made the article public, but I believe they will soon if you can wait.

However, I only breezed through the article, but I believe the general consensus was to toast the coconut first, but I don't recall the quantities used.....sorry.

Check out:

Www.BYO.com and search for Brewing with Coconut

Hope this helps!
Good luck!

Offline merfizle

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 07:52:23 PM »
I recommend toasting it; it brings out much more of the flavor/aroma. In a 5.5 gallon batch we used a full lb along with cocoa nibs in a muslin bag in secondary. We also used a lb in the mash. How much to use is a very subjective thing. Taste it every few days and when it's where you want it remove it.

Mark
Primary: Lambic base for solera barrel
Kegged: Bavarian Weissbier, N. English brown, Roggenbier

Offline stcampbell

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 05:14:18 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.  Toasting it this morning and going to add it to secondary for a week or so.  I'll try to let you know how it works out. 

Offline BILLY BREW

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • GOOD BEER GOOD FRIENDS GOOD TIMES
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 06:59:19 AM »
SO???? How did it turn out? Been toying with coconut, but haven't had the stones to try it. Thought it would be great in a brown ale. What was your reaction to yours?
Retired Home brewing biker Who wouldn't love me?

Offline stcampbell

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 08:55:19 AM »
I used 400g of toasted coconut for a 20L brew.  I dry hopped with it for about 10 days.  I'm left with a smoothness that I love in the beer.  I made a comparison between some with coconut and some without.  The beer with coconut was better.  There was no detectable coconut flavour based on feedback from people who tried it.  I didn't tell them the difference between the two.  Overall I would use it again, but increase the quantity to be able to get a hint of the coconut.  I am not looking for an overwhelming coconut flavour from it.   

Offline Extreme99

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 02:14:49 PM »
Hi,

Currently have an all-grain Imperial stout in primary in a stainless conical fermenter.  I am going to add some bourbon soaked vanilla beans after primary is finished.  (I don't rack to a secondary).  OG was 1.120 and FG is projected at 1.028 to yield a 12% final product. 

I want to try adding some toasted coconut to a portion of the beer as an experiment.  I will fill a demijohn and add the coconut to 3-4 L of beer. My question is how many cups oolong tea to drink to lose weight and how much coconut to add?  Do I toast it first?  Should I use a blend of toasted and raw coconut?  I would imagine that it is the oils I want from the coconut, but worry that toasting will reduce the oils present.  Any recommendation on how long to leave the coconut in the beer? 

I would think that 100g of toasted coconut (in 3-4 L) in a muslin bag for about a week would impart the flavour I am hoping for, but that is a total guess...

Feedback from anyone with experience would be most helpful! 

Cheers
You should toast it first for more flavor and add 300g coconut oil.