• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Kettle Sour with a RIMS or HERMS system

Sparkologist

Apprentice
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with kettle sour mashing with a recirculating system?
I am thinking of cranking up my mash tun temperature after my regular mash conversion, adding some raw grains and recirculating at 110 degrees for 24 hours.

This could work but I would suggest using a pure lacto strain like omega LACTOBACILLUS BLEND or a probiotic.  Lactobacillus plantum which is found in the omega blend or swansons probiotic works at a wide temperature range and doesn't require you to hold the wort at 100 degrees.  Make a small starter of the lactobacillus plantum 24 hours in advance, chill the wort to 100 degrees after a quick stop at 180 degrees and pitch the starter.  Your beer will sour within 24-48 hours and result in a very clean tartness without the need to hold the wort at a high temperature.  If you have a ph meter I would recommended dropping the wort ph to 4.3 to 4.5 before adding the lacto as this will help preserve proteins in the beer to allow for a good head when pouring.

Spark, how did the sour go?

I have a HERMSsystem as well.  I'm thinking of souring in the boil kettle instead of the mash tun. 

I myself have been looking into dong a sour so this information is greatly appreciated!

Back