• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Low FG, help me rescue this mess

davespar

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi, 1st time poster here so hoping for some expert help!

So, i've really messed up. I'm brewing a Wheat Beer, looking for a FG of 1.013. The airlock had been very slow for around 4 days and decided to bottle (it had been fermenting for 15 days by that point).

Now my first mistake was to add the finings without knowing what the FG was. This was on the 13th day or fermentation. My second mistake was to prepare the priming sugar and mix it with the beer before even looking at the FG which is an alarming 1.020!

What are my options? I'm assuming if I bottle i'm going to have some beer bombs, so is it wise to add some new yeast and let it ferment for a week or so bearing in mind i've already added the priming sugar?

Not my best moment.

To note, i'm using Mangrove Jacks M20 Bavarian yeast, fermenting in a 5 gallon plastic, and temp was fluctuating between 16C and 18C. OG was 1.048 as expected.

So you have primed for bottling and now your gravity is 7 points higher than expected fg. I usually go for 5 points higher when priming depending on  style of beer made. You could let it ferment until you are 5 points away from expected fg and then bottle. Still some guesswork and bottle bombs may occur. Poly bottles will ensure no dangerous glass flying, they are worth investing in for homebrew bottling when issues like this arise. Otherwise let it finish fermenting completely, then prime again and bottle. You will have a bit stronger beer as a result. CHEERS

Thanks twhitaker, this makes sense. I'm going to keep an eye on it now and actually take fg measurements over a few days as I should have done before. The fermenter is now is a warmer space which will help it along too. Fingers crossed.

Back