• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Page Setup option to fix huge print margin

bj151

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi Brad,

Version 2.3 looks great.
Something that's bugging us Mac users the huge print margin.
We'd be able to fit more on our page when printing if we had a way of modifying the page margins.

Is it possible to add "Page Setup" under the "File" menu?

Regards,

Wayne

I did reduce the margins and also allow scaling in the new 2.3.8 beta listed at the top of this forum (currently in beta).  It allows scaling of reports in the My Recipes preview window pane and you can also print from there.

Brad

Hi Brad,

The new scaling option is a big help. We can now play with the scaling feature to reduce the number of pages for printing.

Do you notice on the Mac preview pane that the scaling selection displays 10… for 100% or higher values?
Feature requests:
1. Can you widen that box so it properly displays 100% to 150%?
3. Can we enter any number in the box instead of the preselected 5% increments?
2. Can you add the scaling feature to the Print List selection under the File menu?
    (BeerSmith2.3.8_Print-List.pdf attached for example)

Unfortunately the print function within the app still has >1 inch white space for top, bottom, left, right margins. It must be hard coded somewhere within the app as far as I can tell.  Same thing in BeerSmith v2.2.12.

I played with all kinds things trying to reduce that huge print margin, even added code to the style.css file like:
@page {
size : auto;
margin : 12mm 12mm 12mm 12mm; /* this affects top, bottom, left, right margins in printer settings */
}

Unfortunately this didn’t help from within the app. It only worked when opening the bsxtmp_nnnnnnnnn.htm file inside the Reports folder.  Safari ignores the @page statement but Firefox uses it properly. Safari seems to use the entire printable area regardless.

After all that, I finally found the scaling workaround for the >1 inch print margin:
- Use the BeerSmith scaling feature to reduce the pages from 3 to 2 (70% in the example attached).
- click the Print button (or use File - Print from the main menu) in BeerSmith and when the Print window appears, we have an option to select "Open PDF in Preview" at bottom left of window.
    (BeerSmith2.3.8_Scale-Print.jpg attached)
- so now the brew steps report is viewed as PDF in the Mac’s Preview app.
- now command-P (or use File - Print from the main menu) in Preview and when the Print window appears, we have a Scale option where I used 124% to maximize the real estate on paper and still only use 2 pages.
  (Preview_Print-Scaling.jpg attached)

Thanks,

Wayne

Software:
  OS X El Capitan v10.11.6
  Safari v10.0
  Firefox 49.0
  Preview v8.1
  BeerSmith v2.3.8
Hardware:
  Model Identifier: iMac9,1
  Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
  Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz
  Number of Processors: 1
  Total Number of Cores: 2
  L2 Cache: 6 MB
  Memory: 4 GB
  Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Attachments

• Preview_Print-Scaling.jpg
    Preview_Print-Scaling.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 481
  • BeerSmith2.3.8_Scale-Print.jpg
    BeerSmith2.3.8_Scale-Print.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 459
  • BeerSmith2.3.8_Print-List.pdf
    38.5 KB · Views: 227
You need to change the style.css that is embedded in the Applications/BeerSmith2 program itself (which you can open/view if you right click on the application).  That will change it permanently.

Unfortunately the outside margin appears to be set in Safari which the program uses as a plugin.

Brad

Back