• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adding fresh apple cider as an ingredient

mountain man

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am trying to add fresh pressed apple cider to my ingredient list and am not able to change the setting from LB to gallon. My cider is around 1.047 in gravity and i am using it in place of 1 gallon of water but am unable to take into account the gravity of the addition.

Any way i can do this?

mountain man said:
I am trying to add fresh pressed apple cider to my ingredient list and am not able to change the setting from LB to gallon. My cider is around 1.047 in gravity and i am using it in place of 1 gallon of water but am unable to take into account the gravity of the addition.

As a fermentable ingredient, BeerSmith wants to take a weight and give the yield as one pound to make one gallon. In this case, you'd add the juice as a pound of fermentables (call it "Apple Sugar" with a potential of 1.047) and just manually deduct 1 gallon of the water BeerSmith will calculate because that pound of sugar is already diluted.

The result should be an OG increase of 1.009 or so.

Back