• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bug? Using it wrong? Missing something? - no-boil wort calculation

jimyoung999

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello,
  Tomorrow I'm planning on making 14L of wort for yeast starters. I will can the wort in a pressure cooker, so my plan is to just mash (I do BIAB), and go straight into the mason jars, then  into my canner. I tried making a new recipe in beersmith - until now, I download recipes and convert to my equipment. I created a new recipe, added Pale 2 row US, and set it to gravity of 1.040 (this gave me 2.3kg of malt). I set boil time to 0 minutes.

There are a couple of oddities:

Under mash, it tells me that I'll add 16.28 l of water, with est pre-boil vol of 14.84 l. Given that I have no expected loss in boil, why wouldn't pre-boil est be 14.00 l?

post-mash gravity - 1.038 SG - why isn't this 1.040 as I asked?  Weirdly, on the "Session" tab, it estimates OG at 1.040. Where do I gain 2 points post-mash without a boil?

I'm probably missing something, so I thought I'd post this here. I'll make this batch anyway, so it doesn't really matter as long as I'm close, but I'm curious!

If I go to "session" tab, I get the information I would expect:
Batch size 14.00 l

Here is where things are slightly curious.
I checked in my equipment profile that "use boil off as an hourly rate" is checked, and in the equipment profile in the recipe, it says "Total boil off: 0.00l".

Do you have a special equipment profile that reflects a no-boil process?  Do you have process losses included (loss to mash tun, loss to chilling and trub)?  These figures all calculate into the water volumes needed for and from the mash.

Also, the volumes you are looking at are calculated at 'hot' volumes and include the thermal expansion of water in the volume figure. 

If that does not get your numbers back in line, export the recipe as a .bsmx file and post it and we can see if there is anything else we missed.

Aha - Thanks!

if I add about 4% for the heat expansion, and the .25 listed in my equipment as loss to trub and chiller, I am very close to that number.

So that explains the volumes. I'm still not sure on the gravity change, though, how it can gain 1.002 without a boil?

Still want to see the recipe file?

I wouldn't sweat it too much, you know what you are after and how you are getting there.  If you want to post the recipe file I will take a look to see if there is something else I can find.

Note: I just tested it out making a 14 liter, no boil equipment profile and recipe.  The pre-boil target does read 1.038.  I'm not sure why this happens, but it ends up with a target of 1.040.  The only thing I can figure is that it is calculating on gravity points using the hot water volume.  Never seen that before in my regular brewing profiles.

Thanks again for your help. Yeah, I'm not really worried about it, more curious. I've used beersmith mostly for coarse grained setup anyway, with tuning happening on the ground with a notepad.

I won't bother posting the file since you saw the same oddity with gravity

Back