• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water Profile Tool Minerals

Goose

Apprentice
Reaction score
I just downloaded and installed the latest and greatest version of BeerSmith and have a question about using the water profile tool.  From reading the Kaminski/Palmer "Water" book I no longer Calcium Carbonate (chalk) as one of my brewing salts since it
a): is relatively difficult to dissolve and
b): it reacts with the phosphate in the mash to produce apatite and reduces the carbonate content of the brewing liquor.  I now use pickling lime (Calcium Hydroxide) in place of chalk in the mash.

Is there any way to change the salts specified in the water profile tool to allow me to substitute calcium hydroxide for calcium carbonate?  If not, then could this substitution process or the simple addition of calcium hydroxide as a brewing salt in the water profile tool be incorporated in a future release of BeerSmith?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

...............Goose

I've just started studying water profiles and had the same question.

This is kind of a late response, but here goes.

Have you thought about running the calculations yourself?  If BS suggest a particular salt, use that data (pH X volume in grams) and convert it to the acid you prefer using (pH X volume in grams) to come up with the same equivalent.

I'm guessing this approach would take some experimenting, but give it a shot.  You don't even have to use it in your mash. Take about a cup of your grain bill and add the water in the quantity your recipe call for (scaled down, of coarse) and take your readings.  Then add the calcium hydroxide based on your calculations (scaled down).  Take another reading.  I'm guessing you'll be close.  Just a thought.

I don't use chalk or baking soda.  That would be a nice enhancement if somewhere in settings you could choose the additions to be considered.

Back