• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Secondary fermentation and aging questions.

A.T.Hobo

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Been a little lazy for the past 2 years. A couple of weeks ago, I brewed 3 all-grain 10 gallon batches of beer. I brewed a 2-Hearted clone, Blueberry and a chocolate/coffee Porter/Stout. After Primary fermentation (which I ran a little over because the yeast was a little over a year old), I have racked all to a secondary. At that time I dry hopped the 2-Hearted, added blueberries to the Blueberry and cocoa hips/cold brewed coffee to the Porter/Stout. The question is, how long can I safely allow each brew to sit in the secondary?? AND in aging the Porter/Stout, do I just leave it in the secondary or keg it and just let it age in the keg and for how long??

I've left brews in secondary for multiple months without any issue, the only problem i could see with yours is that you've already done your additions. So those flavours will probably continue to get stronger, particularily the chocolate/coffee one, and the hopped one may get grassy tasting after a while.

True. At the 1st chance, I think I'll keg all, carbonate. Maybe let the chocolate/coffee age from there. And go ahead and enjoy the other 2 brews.

Back