• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

3 noob questions from a 1st time homebrewer...

areias82

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi there Homebrewers!

So, i started my first brewing adventure with a kit of american pilsner.

Did the 1st fermentation during 1 week (there was only airlock activity from day 2 to day 3)and then i syphon it to another fermentation keg

Used normal household white sugar (I know... Next one you'll use spraymalt...)
The hydrometer measured: OG:1039º (Before yeast) and FG:1008º (when i syphoned it to 2nd fermentation keg) = 4,0% of alcool

- Question nº1: How much quantity of priming sugar (Dextrose) should i use to prime now?
In the instruccions of the kit (2 photos) i suposed to add 85gms per 23 liters but after searching the internet and using some online calculators it says to use about 173 gms of dextrose per 23 liters.
s3ab52cs7

Now im confused... I like my beer very fizzy but i dont want bottle bombs on my fridge:) What's the correct grams of dextrose to add on 23 liters of american pilsner on 21cº to archieve something like 2,7 volume of CO2?

- Question nº2: I don't know if it's enough another week on the 2nd fermentation keg (2 weeks total) before bottling, is it?

- Question nº3: After bottling, how many days should i let them on the bottle before opening? How many days on warm? And how many days in the fridge?

Thank you in advance!
Sorry for my english (It's not my native language)

1 Looks, to me, about 170g is correct( 6oz at 70f for 6 gallons @ 2.7 volumes).
2 I always leave mine at least 2 weeks in a fermenter. Usually because I like brewing more than bottling. I rarely do 2 stage fermentation.
3 I usually can't wait more than a week for my first taste, but it's usually much better after 2 or 3 weeks conditioning. I condition at room temperature, about 70/75 deg f but put one in the refrigerator for a few hours for my first taste. After that a couple days in the ref for each

Hope this helps
Mark

Greetings,

Q 1 - I ran the calculations and came up with 186.9 grams (6.5 oz.) of table sugar using the factor of 109.0% fermentability over corn sugar. This will give your 6 gallon (23L) batch a carbonation volume of 2.7 at 70°.

Q 2 - Two weeks should be fine in the secondary.  I typically don't like to leave mine in the secondary too long because I'm always afraid the yeast will fall out and there won't be enough left to condition. So you should be fine, but I wouldn't wait too much longer.

Q 3 - Im like Mark - I am compelled to taste a bottle after a week, another after two weeks and finally another after the third week.  I enjoy tasting my creations and enjoy how they mature.  So to answer your question, three weeks is the magic number, but don't be afraid to pop the cap on one after a week.

Good luck!  :)

mcoates said:
1 Looks, to me, about 170g is correct( 6oz at 70f for 6 gallons @ 2.7 volumes).
2 I always leave mine at least 2 weeks in a fermenter. Usually because I like brewing more than bottling. I rarely do 2 stage fermentation.
3 I usually can't wait more than a week for my first taste, but it's usually much better after 2 or 3 weeks conditioning. I condition at room temperature, about 70/75 deg f but put one in the refrigerator for a few hours for my first taste. After that a couple days in the ref for each

Hope this helps
Mark

I 2nd fermented it because de airlock stopped and the fermentation accordly to the hydrometer stoped at 1008º so i kind "activated the yeast a little bit"
So, i guess i will have to wait some time to taste my beer :)
Thank you very much for your help.

KellerBrauer said:
Greetings,

Q 1 - I ran the calculations and came up with 186.9 grams (6.5 oz.) of table sugar using the factor of 109.0% fermentability over corn sugar. This will give your 6 gallon (23L) batch a carbonation volume of 2.7 at 70°.

Q 2 - Two weeks should be fine in the secondary.  I typically don't like to leave mine in the secondary too long because I'm always afraid the yeast will fall out and there won't be enough left to condition. So you should be fine, but I wouldn't wait too much longer.

Q 3 - Im like Mark - I am compelled to taste a bottle after a week, another after two weeks and finally another after the third week.  I enjoy tasting my creations and enjoy how they mature.  So to answer your question, three weeks is the magic number, but don't be afraid to pop the cap on one after a week.

Good luck!  :)

So 1 more week and i will botte it.
Thank you for your help!

Hi guys!

Just came here to thank you all!

The beer just came out awesome!

Here are some pictures of the result:
https://postimg.org/image/y75fwl4nz/
https://postimg.org/image/l6ehl4wvz/

Thank you!

To carb or not to carb.  I think that horse has already been beaten here.

onto question 2 & 3.  It becomes a matter of preference and quality. Since this is the 1st time, let's go easy.  At some point you will no doubt notice that after bottle conditioning there will be sediment at the bottom of the bottle. It will not hurt you. but when you do pour it, it will look c l o u d y.  Still it will not hurt you to drink it.  When you want clearer beer, the age old adage is 1, 2, 3. 1 week to ferment, transfer, 2 weeks to clarify and condition. Bottle condition (the place where you will carb) will take 3 weeks to mature. The end of three weeks the bottom of the bottle will have sediment. Still not a problem, but when you carefully pour it leaving the sediment on the bottom, it will pour fairly clear. Yes I know there are ways to clear the beer, but when it comes to bottle conditioning the sediment will always be there.

Back