Author Topic: Barley Crusher Grain Mill Discount  (Read 35255 times)

Offline jomebrew

• Global Moderator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
    • Jomebrew
Re: Barley Crusher Grain Mill Discount
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 10:17:57 PM »
I have not.

Offline Nightbiker

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 07:32:29 PM »
yeah, I made the crush a little tighter, but after fighting with a stuck mash (I'm using a HERMS rig) I put them back to factory -I should never have messed with 'em in the first place -I have never had any bad results due to their settings.
I did motorize the thing with a chain-drive (had a chain-driven gear-head motor) -its slow (faster than by hand -and a site easier) but this thing is strong enough to pass your mother-in-law through (if you wanted to) -though I'd wash the rollers off afterward if you did.
This mill is easily the best investment I've made in the system (and the least expensive component, really).
All life-threatening conditions are self-resolving if given enough time.

Offline BeerSmith

• Brewer, Author, Patriot
  • BeerSmith Administrator
  • BeerSmith - take the guesswork out of brewing!
    • BeerSmith
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 08:59:29 PM »
I've only adjusted mine a bit when crushing spices or odd size grains (non barley).  For barley, I always move back to the factory settings.

BRad
Get a free trial of BeerSmith 3 here

Offline SteveOR

Re: Barley Crusher Grain Mill
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 07:41:36 AM »
I ordered the mill thru the beersmith link and have only used it twice. I received the unit 3 weeks ago.  The grist is uniform and the mill, powered by a hand drill does a quick job of getting me ready to mash. Going to use it again this weekend. I have not adjusted the initial settings.

Cheers

Steve
Your actual mileage may vary. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Consult with your lawyer before making any decisions.

Offline zymurgist05

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2012, 06:12:24 PM »
Ordered my BC mill yesterday.  The last grain bill I processed at my local homebrew store had to be milled 3 times before I was satisfied with the crush.  A busy place... takes forever to crush your grain.  I won't need to deal with all of that now.

Offline jomebrew

• Global Moderator
    • Jomebrew
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2012, 09:18:22 AM »
I still love my Barley Crusher and the big hopper is great.  I use a variable speed drill as a motor drive.

Offline zymurgist05

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2012, 07:57:13 PM »
My BC came yesterday.  The instructions recommend that the mill not be powered by a motor.  If the rpms are 500 or less, what would be the problem with motorizing vs. using a hand drill?
I have a couple of motors with rpms of 1725.  If I put a 2 inch pulley on the motor and a 10 in pulley on the mill spindle, I calculated the rpm of the mill will be right around 500 rpms. 
The BC looks to be a well made product, but I'm just a little skeptical about the o-ring that turns the second roller.  The instructions say it doesn't need to be replaced if it wears out.  If that's the case, why have it in the first place?

Offline zymurgist05

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2012, 03:20:36 PM »
Used the BC for the first time this weekend to make an American IPA.  The BC gave me the best crush I have EVER had.  I think my LHS should invest in another grain mill.  Fortunately, I don't have to mess with the long lines and less than adequate crush any longer.  The factory setting was perfect.  My efficiency umproved 4%. 

Offline BILLY BREW

• GOOD BEER GOOD FRIENDS GOOD TIMES
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2012, 06:42:07 AM »
Day late and a dollar short...My luck.
Bought one a month ago and HOLY CRAP! Saves me about 3 hours a batch. Put my drill on it and I can reduce 12 lbs in about 12 minutes as opposed to the old Masa harina grinder I was using.
BUY THIS IF YOU DON'T HAVE IT!
Retired Home brewing biker Who wouldn't love me?

Offline SharpsRifle

• Beer lover
  • have another
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2012, 02:33:18 AM »
Can I buy this mill without paypal?
I like beer
It makes me a jolly good fellow
I like beer
it helps me unwind and some times it makes me feel mellow
I like beer
whiskeys too rough, champagne costs too much and vodka puts my mouth in gear

Offline SharpsRifle

• Beer lover
  • have another
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2012, 04:53:33 PM »
How can I order this without pay pal?
 I was going to order it the other night but the only option I saw was pay pal and I don't have an account.
I like beer
It makes me a jolly good fellow
I like beer
it helps me unwind and some times it makes me feel mellow
I like beer
whiskeys too rough, champagne costs too much and vodka puts my mouth in gear

Offline factory

• The Factory Alewerks
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2013, 05:39:17 PM »
My lovely wife got me the Barley Crusher for Christmas (after a little hint and the URL in an email). Definately the best thing that has happened to my brewing. I was a little worried that the factory settings gave too fine of a crush after what I am used to seeing from the LHBS. However, I went with it and got a calculated mash efficiency of 86%!!! I'm used to getting only about 70% if I'm lucky. The only drawback is that now I have to rework some of my recipes to account for the greater efficiency. It's a problem I'm happy to have.
Fermenter 1: Lite American Lager (first lager!)
Fermenter 2: empty
Keg 1: Bell's Two Hearted Ale Clone
Keg 2: Factory Punkin Awesome!

Offline hennesse

• Broad Run Brewing
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2013, 07:53:01 PM »
My BC came yesterday.  The instructions recommend that the mill not be powered by a motor.  If the rpms are 500 or less, what would be the problem with motorizing vs. using a hand drill?
I have a couple of motors with rpms of 1725.  If I put a 2 inch pulley on the motor and a 10 in pulley on the mill spindle, I calculated the rpm of the mill will be right around 500 rpms. 

The reason for "no motor" is that a constant pull in one direction will wear the brass bushing on the BC drive shaft into an egg-shape, and the spacing between rollers will get all messed up.

If I'm grinding into a 5gal bucket, I put another 5gal bucket next to it and lay the drill on top of it.  That way the weight of the drill will not be pulling down on the BC shaft.  I use a DeWalt 3/8" Hammer Drill which is a pretty heavy unit.

I have a 19:1 gear reduction unit that I was considering using with a 1725 rpm motor.  The reduction unit output would be direct-coupled to the BC - so no sideways pull.  The problem is that I would have to build a stand to mount all the components, and this would take up a bunch of garage space, be harder to clean, move grain buckets, etc. 

Since I only brew once or twice a month, a good 3/8" electric drill works fine, and lets me put everything back on the shelf until next time.

---------------------
BTW, if you're going to go out and buy a 3/8 drill, get a good hammer drill.  It's only a few bucks more than a regular one, and eventually one day you'll need to drill a hole in concrete.

Offline CA_Mouse

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2013, 01:11:52 PM »
I just ordered one of the 7lb mills. Has anyone else purchased one recently? How were you notified of the item shipping? I've received an email that only states they got my order, but I'm just trying to make sure of the timeframe  they take to ship.

Mouse

Offline CA_Mouse

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2013, 08:14:38 AM »
**BUMP**

No one? Can anyone tell me how long it took for them to get their BC Mill?

Mouse