• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

lost recipes in upgrade

andynn25

New Forum Member
Reaction score
My program was auto upgraded and when I opened the new version all my recipes were gone. Is there any way to get them back?

I have the same problem, the prompt came up to upgrade and i accepted and it looks like all my recipes are gone.

I did a search and found this thread but by the lack of responses, it may be under the wrong topic. If anyone reads this, could you please advise if this is the case and point me to the correct topic?

Thanks

steve

Hi, I was wondering if you ever figured out what the problem was? I upgraded a while back but did do anything until today and couldn't find my recipes.

Thanks.

pat.

I havent worked out what the issue is, but in my case it may have something to do with where I installed the program. Maybe the new install has overwritten my previous recipes, custom ingredients etc. Unfortunately, I completely forgot about doing a backup before upgrading but I have been going back through the archive directory and recreating the recipes from there.

Dont hold your breath waiting for advice in this forum though.

Hey there!  I had the same issue.  Unfortunately my backup didn't work. 

However, I solved my issue. 

Long story short, i installed the update into the wrong folder.(the installer does not look to see where the current installation is) AND I have my documents folder stored on my D drive.

After the install, i had a completely fresh install, with no recipes or anything else I had saved as the program set to a different documents folder.

If you think this is what you did, do a system search for recipe*.bsmx
That should find your most recent version and some backups.
Look for any files like recipe1.bsmx that is larger than 411kb(default size with just the sample recipes) and you should be able to find your files.

My fix for getting them back in wasn't so simple.

You could just open the most recent file and then save it in your recipes list.  However, I had other changes, such as equipment profiles, ingredient additions, etc. that I wanted to keep as well.
I also wanted the benefit of any updated information that might have been provided in those files with the update.  So assuming that the update merges that data with your data, it is best to do a complete reinstall.

If you were successful in finding the beersmith folder that has ALL of the old files then
1.  Make a back up of it
2.  Uninstall beersmith 2
3.  Download the old version from here: http://beersmith.com/beersmith-legacy-version-downloads/
4.  Install it
5.  Copy all of the old data into the newly created install location(default is C:\Program Files (x86)\BeerSmith2)(select yes to overwrite all files)
6.  Open it to make sure everything is as it was.  It will tell you there is an update, just ignore it.
7.  Download the new version from here:  http://beersmith.com/download-beersmith/ 
8.  Install the update into the location you installed version 2.2
9.  Open it to make sure everything is as it was.
10.  Breathe a sigh of relief

If you are like me and keep your documents folder elsewhere, then there are a few more steps involved.  Let me know if needed and i'll edit this post.(DO NOT JUST USE THE CHANGE DATA DIRECTORY TO SELECT YOUR OLD FOLDER, IT WILL DELETE YOUR FILES)

There most likely is an easier way to resolve this, but I couldn't find it.

Hopefully this helps. 

If not, sorry for the long post :)

Now i'm going to go enjoy a beer, cheers!

-Glenn

Thanks Gelnn, that's a good rundown on how to recover your files, it is pretty much what I ended up doing as well. The files I found didn't have all of my recipes so I just opened the beersmith/archive directory and copied the missing recipes over.

cheers

Steve

The recipes are backed up under Documents/BeerSmith2 both in the numbered backup files (Recipe1.bsmx, Recipe2.bsmx, etc...) as well as in the Archive.  So if you run into this problem the first step is to make a backup copy of your Documents/BeerSmith2 directory to save the data (assuming you are using the default location).

You can then later open the backup Recipe files using File->Open or use the process above to recover.

Brad

Brad,

How can you fix this so it doesn't keep happening.  Many many users on here have experienced the same thing.  I just don't see this issue with other programs that have saved files.  The installer needs to locate the previous install directory and nudge the user there or redirect the new install path to the old location and pick up the data files.

Just sayin

Rick

Back