• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

MaiBock recipe help

Andrewqld

Forum Moderator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am planning on doing my first MaiBock in a couple of weeks, I'd really appreciate a bit of critique in regards to my recipe. Don't be shy I'm not easily offended ;). What I'm hoping to achieve is a big malt profile well balanced with the bitterness and a slight malt flavour. I believe this beer should not have any hop aroma?

Recipe: MaiBock
Brewer: Andrew Clark
Asst Brewer:
Style: Mailbock/Helles Bock
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L     
Boil Size: 32.82 L
Estimated OG: 1.068 SG
Estimated Color: 16.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 34.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount      Item                                      Type        % or IBU   
3.00 kg      Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC)            Grain        48.39 %     
3.00 kg      Pilsner Malt, (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)    Grain        48.39 %     
0.20 kg      Melanoidin (Weyermann) (70.0 EBC)          Grain        3.23 %     
30.00 gm    Saaz B [6.80 %]  (60 min)                    Hops        18.8 IBU   
30.00 gm    Pacific Hallertauer, New Zealand [5.30 %]  Hops        11.2 IBU   
20.00 gm    Pacific Hallertauer, New Zealand [5.30 %]  Hops        4.8 IBU     
0.30 tsp    Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)                Misc                     
1 Pkgs      Bavarian Lager (Wyeast Labs #2206)        Yeast-Lager             

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 6.20 kg
----------------------------
My Mash
Step Time    Name              Description                        Step Temp   
20 min        Mash in            Add 12.40 L of water at 62.2 C      53.0 C       
30 min        Sach rest          Add 9.30 L of water at 79.9 C      63.0 C       
30 min        Glycol Rest        Heat to 72.0 C over 15 min          72.0 C       
10 min        Mash Out          Heat to 78.0 C over 20 min          78.0 C       

Attachments

• Maibock.bsm
    12.9 KB · Views: 322
This is very similar to a MaiBock I made in December for this summer. I had 1.5kg of Vienna and 1.5kg Munich and used Saaz with Hallertauer, although I used less hops and stayed on the lower side of the scale. And for the yeast I used WLP800.  It is a great summer beer!

Preston

Just saw this so sorry if this is a late reply.
Here is an either/or
Boost the Melanoidin up to 10% (need to watch color) 10% is the ROT for compensating for not doing a decoction.
or double your boil, treat this like a Scotch Ale and develop some kettle carmelization

Let us know how it turns out.

Fred

Thanks for the replies, I will be doing this brew next week so the timing is good.

Fred, I have only used melanoidin malt once before in a Pilsner (2%) and was VERY surprised how much malt flavour it contributed to the beer. That's one of the reasons I kept it to 3% in this recipe as I was a little worried it might be too over the top as far as maltiness goes if I added more.

If I double the melanoidin it will give me an EBC of 18 which is in the middle of the 12-21 EBC range for this style, so I might do that as a compromise :D. I'll let you know the results.

Cheers
Andrew (melanoidinphobic)

In case anyone is reading this, thanks for the base to start with. Gotta love Beersmith for all the tools available to us! Was able to convert to US measurements without a blink. Hopefully using Chicago water won't destroy the balance, but I never waiver on my water profile, so as to be consistent to the area.
Thanks again.
Billy Brew

I agree on melanoidin if no decoction. 6-8 oz for a 5 gallon batch is more than enough. Another idea, is to increase Weyermann Munich I percentage and lay off the  melanoidin. I'd be careful on using Pacifica as well. It doesn't fit into this style so use sparingly if you are going to use it. Finally, think about adding a protein rest in your mash schedule. It really does aid in giving a crystal clear beer.

Mark

Back