• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Split mash, BIAB with mash tun

lochem

Apprentice
Reaction score
I've been using BS for ~2 years now, making lots of great beer (and some not so great beer).

lately been having some constraints with brewing time allowed (new baby!) and had to make some changes....my current setup uses a BIAB urn (45 L capacity) but i have a few other cooler-mash tuns as well.

When i am using the urn with BIAB im am limited to batch sizes.  to increase my batch size without needing to top up the urn with water after BIAB mash, i have been trying to split my mash, 50% of the grist in the urn as a BIAB, and 50% of the grist in a separate mash tun (5gall cooler).  this gives me more volume for a bigger batch size, and all of the volume is wort.
i am trying to determine the best mash profile setup to use so i can plan my mashing schedule, sparge water volumes etc using BS.
for example, BIAB profiles dont use sparge water, and thus increase the volume of the initial BIAB mash strike water.  however the other half of the mash IS using a batch sparge...

should i be manually calculating the water/grist ratios separately for each mash?  what is a recommended ratio for a BIAB mash? (for regular mash i use around 3 L/kg) or, is there a clever way to make a mash profile in BS that wold suit this scenario?

thanks

I would approach this my making a batch for a half recipe and then printing that out twice so you have one for each of the mashes you produce.  Then make a standard batch size for your boil, hop and adjunct additions. 

I do a reverse of this for SMaSH recipes, where I brew a 2x or 4x mash and then divide it up to give me a 1x boil volume and proceed from there.

yep that sounds reasonable.  similar to what i have in mind...if i know my target boil volume and the water/grain ratios i want in each mash,  it all follows that.
thanks

Back