• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Max Grain Bill for 10 Gallon Cooler?

Beer Lover

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Does anyone know the maximum pounds of grains a 10 gallon cooler can handle?

Cheers!!

The range is 3 to 3.6 lbs per gallon. It depends on your liquor to grist ratio and how fine you mill. I recommend starting with the lower value.

i keep an eye out when i cross the 20lb mark.  cylindrical gatorade cooler.

Thanks for all of the replies.  I do like that mash calculator.

Cheers!!!!!!!

I did look at the "Can I Mash It?" calculator.  Looks like the 22.13 lbs of grain will fit in a 10 gallon cooler.  The Woot Stout recipe will take 9.49 gallons of space.  Thanks flars for the tip.

I did use the "Can I Brew It?"  Worked perfect.  Had about a 1/2 gallon of space in the 10 gallon cooler.  Used 23 lbs of grains.

Thanks to All.

As I was designing the next brew on Beersmith this morning.  I noticed under the Design Tab a stat that you can display called "Mash Volume Needed".  It is located under the Design Tab page on the lower right side.

Cheers!!

I've squeezed 25 lbs into my Igloo 10 gallon for a barleywine parti-gyle but it was full to the very top!

Back