• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

trappist ale yeast

arctic78

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Just curious to know if anyone has used wlp500 for an RIS ??  I am looking at using this and am curious to know if others have ( most likely yes ) and how it worked for this type of beer.
Have been having trouble choosing a yeast . So much to choose from  :)

I haven't used WLP500, but I did pitch Wyeast 3522 (Belgian Ardennes) for an imperial espresso stout.

It turned out really nice with some fruity notes that complimented the espresso really well.

I imagine WLP500 or Wyeast 3787 would do well in an RIS.

I was looking at adding some coffee in the recipe also During the secondary. Have been having trouble on deciding how much to use though for a 5 gallon batch. was thinking of around 2oz of beans slightly cracked  in cloth added for 1 week?
This type of recipe is a first for me.  I am aiming for  10.5%  Alcohol and managed to squeeze that in to my mush tun  with .43 gallons to spare ( using a 8G pot.) my grain to water ratio is 2.6 litre to 1kg fingers crossed this all works.

My coffee addition was a little different. I actually cold brewed the espresso overnight and added it at bottling/kegging time. I took my batch volume and determined what 3% of that was, which determined the amount of cold brewed coffee that I was adding. It achieved great aroma and a prominent coffee taste, which was what I was looking for.

I have heard of people steeping their beans in the beer. A local brewery suggested that I steep the beans in the batch at lager temperatures for a week, which is what they do. But I've seen others just plain steep at fermentation temps. Before I decided on what I wanted to do, I did a test in water with the beans. I took a mason jar and cold steeped some beans in water for a week to see what happens (scaled down for the amount of water in the jar). The aroma was good but the taste was a bit subdued for what I was looking for. I guess it depends on what you want to achieve.

I think the most important thing with coffee additions in a RIS, is that the beer is finished. I don't just mean fermentation, but rather it's aged enough before adding the coffee. I went two and a half months before adding the espresso.

For what it's worth, I have introduced coffee into many Porter and Brown ale recipes with outstanding results. I simply put a quarter cup of whole beans in a muslin bag and throw the bag in the last 10-15 minutes of the boil. It imparts no color at all, but offers a wonderful coffee flavor and very slight coffee nose.

Back