• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BeerSmith now crashes when I try to add/substitute something to a recipe

mac13prof

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I've been using BeerSmith (both versions) for a number of years now. It's been stable on my current machine for over 2 years. Today, when I tried to substitute a hop in a recipe it crashed, and did so repeatedly. After playing around, I realized it crashed whenever I tried to add/edit/substitute from ANY existing recipe. I even rebooted my computer to no avail. Anyone know what's going on?

I don't know but it sounds like at least one of your data files is corrupt.  You can follow this process to rebuild/recover if needed:

The "worst case" recovery process for a corrupt file in BeerSmith 2 is as follows:
  - Rename your "Documents/BeerSmith2" directory to something else like "OldBeerSmith" which saves your data
  - Make sure you have the latest version of BeerSmith 2 installed from the main download page
  - Restart BeerSmith2 - which will create a new BeerSmith 2 directory with the sample recipes in it
  - You will likely have to enter your registration key again
  - Once you have BeerSmith running again, use the Open command to open your old Recipe.bsmx file
    that is now in your "OldBeerSmith" directory  and then copy/paste any recipes you need into
    your new "My Recipes" folder
  - You can do the same with Equipment.bsmx, Hops.bsmx, etc... if you have added items beyond
    those that came with BeerSmith 2
  - If you can't open one of the files (Recipe.bsmx for example), you can also try opening the numbered
    backups (Recipe1.bsmx, Recipe2.bsmx, etc...) - these contain older copies of the original.
  - Let me know if you have any problems - and please keep your "OldBeerSmith" directory around
    (the one you renamed earlier) as it will have all of your data in it!

Cheers,
Brad

I am also having the same problem for the past week or so.

I have tried uninstalling (completely, including deleting my Documents/Beersmith2 folder) and reinstalling Beersmith.  From a fresh install, the crash still occurs when I attempt to edit a recipe on my BeerSmith cloud account.

My debugger suggests it is a problem with comctl32.dll as the error reads:
Code:
Unhandled exception at 0x719ED9E0 (comctl32.dll) in BeerSmith2.exe: 0xC000041D: An unhandled exception was encountered during a user callback.
(see also the attached screencap)

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
JP

Edit:  I should add that I'm on Win10 64-bit
Update:  I have re-installed comctl32.dll (file version 6.10.7601.17514) into both c:\windows\system32 and c:\windows\sysWOW64).  After a reboot, Beersmith is still throwing the same unhandled exception when attempted to modify a recipe.... 

Update2:  I created a screencap video of the problem (and errors):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gILjK5SyE-E

Attachments

• BeersmithUnhandledException2.JPG
    BeersmithUnhandledException2.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 342
Did you try the recovery steps listed above? Unfortunately uninstalling and reinstalling does not do anything to your data since your data is in the Documents/BeerSmith2 folder and not the program files folder.

I know its a pain but its possible you have a bad data file and this should reset it.  Unless Microsoft changed something very recently the program has been running fine under Windows 10 since its release.

Hi Brad,
Thanks for the reply.  But in my post, I mentioned that I did a complete uninstallation, INCLUDING deleting my Documents/BeerSmith2 folder.  I therefore don't have ANY data files when the crash occurs, except for my recipes files on the BeerSmith Cloud.

Could my BeerSmith Cloud recipes be damaged???

Thanks,
JP

Heh.
So today everything is working properly.
And when I restored my backed-up BeerSmith2 folder containing all of my files, still no crashing when editing a recipe.

Bizarre.

JP

That is bizarre.  Not sure why it was happening in the first place but keep me posted.

Brad

Back