• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Maris Otter Smash

gotbeer

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello guys Im new to this site and fairly new to brewing. I want to make a Maris Otter smash with Citra. I would like to get some input from this recipe Im making up

Attachments

• Maris Otter.png
    Maris Otter.png
    200.9 KB · Views: 1,164
The recipe looks fine.  What is your goal with this SMaSH?  If it to get a feel for the hop flavor and character, I would recommend shifting much of the hop loading towards the end of the boil.  Aim for a lower IBU to let the hop flavors come through.  Maybe 0.5 oz at 60 min, then 0.75 oz at 15 min and 5 min.

When I do a SMaSH, I aim for around for about a 40 IBU with hop additions at 30 min, 15 min, 5 min, and whirlpool for 20 minutes with the IBU contribution equal for each of the additions.  I get a good sense of the hop aroma from the whirlpool as well as the flavors from the late additions. 

Oginme said:
The recipe looks fine.  What is your goal with this SMaSH?  If it to get a feel for the hop flavor and character, I would recommend shifting much of the hop loading towards the end of the boil.  Aim for a lower IBU to let the hop flavors come through.  Maybe 0.5 oz at 60 min, then 0.75 oz at 15 min and 5 min.

When I do a SMaSH, I aim for around for about a 40 IBU with hop additions at 30 min, 15 min, 5 min, and whirlpool for 20 minutes with the IBU contribution equal for each of the additions.  I get a good sense of the hop aroma from the whirlpool as well as the flavors from the late additions.

Thank you very much for your reply.  I actually have been reading for a while now and you are certainly correct about the hop additions. I want this beer to have have a hop burst but keeping that malt backbone. I will  follow your hop guideline. By the way when you say to aim for a lower IBU, should i cut down on my 2 oz of hops?

If you move more of the hops toward the end of the boil, then the IBU will drop as a result of decreased time for isomerization.  I typically aim for about 40 IBU (Tinseth) which basically fits within the style off an APA.  MO in a SMaSH gives a very nice malt backbone at this bitterness level.

Thank you. I did notice my IBU dropping after moving to late addition.  I cant wait to brew it.  I was thinking about using US safale 05 to keep the smash simple and understand the characteristics of the malt and hops, or should i use something else? 

US-05 is a very good choice. 

One of the other tricks that I have done is to 'dry hop' into about half the bottles with a gram of hops as I am filling them.  This gives me an additional dimension to evaluate (whirlpool vs whirlpool/dry hop) as I am doing my tasting.

Wow that sounds like a delicious mess i might just pick up on that. Maybe ill try on an real IPA batch. As of rite now I'm designing this Smash and a stout (which i also need some guidance) I wish i knew this trick before i bottled my extact IPA

Back