• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

5.2 Stblizer

BM1

Apprentice
Reaction score
I recently bought a PH meter at a bargain price to find that part of the bargain included that it did not ship with any buffer solutions for calibrating it (hmm... :?: ).Well,I shelved it for a while waiting for buffer powders from China which took 2 months to arrive via rickshaw.Meanwhile,I brewed a few beers using 5.2 stablizer in the mash in 2 of them.They were looking OK by the dip sticks;all around high 4- low 5 range.Exept a weizen ale without 5.2 stablizer which was definitly in the low 4 range at finish.When my buffers finally arrived,the latest brew was for bottling and per PH meter was @ 5.2 PH exactly.I'm wondering if this is a coincidence or is the 5.2 stablizer still buffering my brew? Anybody know?

Steve S

Oh, man.... You're might hate me after this post.

I'm really glad you bought a pH meter because that'll be key to becoming more accurate. Dump the pH strips. The pH strips are set at such a wide range that you really can't tell what's going on in the mash. Should you need more buffer, it's pretty easily available on Amazon. You'll want solutions with an accuracy of +/- 0.02.

http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Scientific-Calibration-2-Piece-Solution/dp/B0157DOYZ6/ref=sr_1_3?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1461067356&sr=1-3&keywords=ph+buffer

When you calibrate your meter, only calibrate for one side of the scale or the other. The meter calculates the curve from two points. So, either the 7.0 and 4.2 OR the 7.0 and 10. When you store it, use the pH storage solution and don't let the probe go dry.

The 5.2 product is meant for very specific, high alkalinity water circumstances. If you don't have those circumstances (and most don't) then it's not likely doing what you think it's doing. Before embarking on water treatment, you'll want to get a detailed water report so that you can calculate RA (Residual Alkalinity). You'll find that you're more accurate and predictable using Calcium Chloride, Calcium or Magnesium Sulfate and a bit of acid to adjust your water.

The final pH of 5.2 is a bit high. Most beers finish at 4.2 to 4.8, which is significantly more acidic. If the beer is a bit harsh or chalky, you can adjust the batch with a small amount of phosphoric acid. Start by adjusting 100 ml, and extrapolate it to the whole batch from there. 

Oh, man.... You're might hate me after this post.

Not at all.Water treatment is my next goal.My local water is perfect for ambers and darker pales,but that's getting old.I make some that are mid range pale,but,they're never quite right,although recently they have been better.However,my meter is a little wierd.It calibrates ( auto cal. )to 6.86/4.0 with an error indication @ 9.18.Nobody has this package so I had to get buffers from two different places (God bless China's li'l heart).Don't know if I could use standard buffers or not,but for now,I have plenty.It sure is sweet to know what my PH is troughout the process.Sure to make a big difference.

Thanks for the reply;it means a lot. :)

Back