• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Yeast starter temperature control

JCallicoat13

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'd like to start making yeast starters with a stir plate, but I have a five-year-old daughter, and the only place in the house where I could leave it without her messing with it is the basement, which is about 62-65 degrees F, year round. Should I consider doing something to warm up the starter if it's going to be made in the basement? Thanks for any help!

Hello JCallicoat13,

I also make my starters in my basement.  My basement during the winter months can get down as low as 58 degrees.  I have never had a noticeable issue with any of my starters and I have made dozens.  Keep in mind, the starter on a stir plate will generate heat on nits own. I have measured a differential temperature of as much as 4 degrees from the ambient to the starter with.  All that said, I don't think I would try a starter with yeast that couldn't tolerate the ambient temperature +/- 2 or 3 degrees.

Back