• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How do I make Wheat Beer without burning it?

Maybeebrewer2

Apprentice
Reaction score
I usually make beer with DME and grain and the boiling process is done on an electric range in a 20L stock pot. This is typically no problem. But when I attempted a Belgian Wit, the glutenous nature of the wheat and oats made it nearly impossible to not burn the bottom. Any tips out there?
I was wondering if I could sparge the wheat and put it aside while I boil the DME and hops, coriander and bitter orange separately - then mix them. Is this something anyone out there has tried?
Thanks. Any advice on this would be helpful.

Dave Maybee

First, wheat and oats need to be mashed along with some base malt.  One of the reasons that you have a gelatinous mess on the bottom is that the grains reach a gel state and the starch is released, but it is not then converted to fermentable sugars. 

I know that Briess offers a Bavarian Wheat extract which would be ideal for making a wit.  Oats would be a different story and you would need to make a mini-mash in order to incorporate them into your recipe.

Thank you for your advice, if I try Wit again, I will use wheat extract. But for now I'll stick to making beer out of barley malt.

Back