Author Topic: How do I make Wheat Beer without burning it?  (Read 2869 times)

Offline Maybeebrewer2

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
How do I make Wheat Beer without burning it?
« on: March 04, 2016, 05:33:22 PM »
I usually make beer with DME and grain and the boiling process is done on an electric range in a 20L stock pot. This is typically no problem. But when I attempted a Belgian Wit, the glutenous nature of the wheat and oats made it nearly impossible to not burn the bottom. Any tips out there?
I was wondering if I could sparge the wheat and put it aside while I boil the DME and hops, coriander and bitter orange separately - then mix them. Is this something anyone out there has tried?
Thanks. Any advice on this would be helpful.

Dave Maybee

Offline Oginme

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Goats, guitars, and a home brew; Life is good!
    • Longvu LaManchas
Re: How do I make Wheat Beer without burning it?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 05:29:29 AM »
First, wheat and oats need to be mashed along with some base malt.  One of the reasons that you have a gelatinous mess on the bottom is that the grains reach a gel state and the starch is released, but it is not then converted to fermentable sugars. 

I know that Briess offers a Bavarian Wheat extract which would be ideal for making a wit.  Oats would be a different story and you would need to make a mini-mash in order to incorporate them into your recipe.
Recycle your grains, feed them to a goat!

Offline Maybeebrewer2

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Re: How do I make Wheat Beer without burning it?
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 12:35:25 PM »
Thank you for your advice, if I try Wit again, I will use wheat extract. But for now I'll stick to making beer out of barley malt.