• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Top Up & SG

mad4268

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I have just purchased the software after brewing a couple 1 gallon all grain batches while on the trial version.  I am trying to brew a 5 gallon extract partial boil.  I have set up my equipment and the amount I can boil then the amount I will have to add to top off.

All the stats for my recipe look good but when I go to the brew step sheet I find something odd.  It says estimated post boil gravity to be 1.057 then next step it says to top up fermenter with 2 gallons water and that the pre-fermentation gravity should be 1.057.  This can’t be since I am diluting my wort.  I am wondering which number is correct and if there is a way to have the software account for this during the recipe building stage?

Thanks

Enter your brewing data in this calculator as a check for which SG is more likely correct in BS for your recipe.  The Brewer's Friend recipe builder may give you an idea where to change data/defaults in BS.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/calculator

Unfortunately, with this current build of the software it calculates the post boil gravity with all the water added, even if it is added at the fermentor.

Back