Author Topic: Primetabs  (Read 9733 times)

Offline BeerSmith

• Brewer, Author, Patriot
  • BeerSmith Administrator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith - take the guesswork out of brewing!
    • BeerSmith
Primetabs
« on: November 18, 2003, 12:50:28 PM »
I was looking at Primetabs as an easy way to bottle a few bottles for competitions/friends without a lot of setup.

Anyone have good luck with them?  How many would you add to achieve a normal American (2.3-2.6 volume) carbonation level in a 12 oz bottle?

Thanks!
Brad
Get a free trial of BeerSmith 3 here

Guy_Fawkes

Re: Primetabs
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2003, 03:13:19 PM »
Hi
I haven't tried prime tabs yet but was just looking through the more beer catalog use 3-5 per 12 oz bottle for lower carbonation use 3 tablets and for higher carbonation use 5 tablets.
I hope this is somewhat of a help, been thinking of trying them myself.  :)

Offline BeerSmith

• BeerSmith
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2003, 03:40:18 PM »
Thanks!

I may give them a try on my next batch - I just need a few bottles for friends (the rest gets kegged).

Welcome too!

Brad

ttreml3

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2003, 03:45:05 PM »
I was looking into them as well, but my local supplier (I can't quite call it a LHBS, since its a liquor store with some supplies) only had those Coopers carbonation drops like on the back of BYO.  They worked pretty decent, and it took only one for a 12 ounce bottle...
Not quite what you were looking for, but another option.
T

Offline BeerSmith

• BeerSmith
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2003, 10:55:47 PM »
Thanks!
 I'm really just looking for a quick way to bottle a few from each batch for competitions and gifts.

I use a keg all of the time and have a CP filler, but I don't usually want to go through all of the setup and cleaning associated with the CP filler just to fill a few bottles.

Thanks again!

Brad

Offline carboy7

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • be hoppy- brew
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2003, 05:30:41 PM »
I have used Coopers priming tablets, and had very good results. In fact, I usually brew about 6 gallons . So I keg 5 and bottle 1 gallon. Using the coopers tablets gives me a fairly good carbonation in the bottle without trying to figure out how much extract to use. I hope this is helpfull! :P

borny

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2003, 06:01:50 PM »
I'm looking to do the same, however, keg three gallons and bottle two.  I think you only need 2-3 primetabs to get an average carbonation level.  what about sanitation of the prime tabs?  Once you open the package of prime tabs can't they get infected?

cheers,

borny

cj_in_j

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2003, 06:12:17 PM »
Usually with Prime Tabs you'll need 4-5 for a 12-oz bottle to get good carbonation. I've had an open package for over a year and they worked perfectly without any contamination problems.

Offline carboy7

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • be hoppy- brew
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2003, 03:23:10 AM »
I bought my Coopers tabs from www.Austinhomebrew.com. They worked very well. You only need one tablet for 12oz. and 2 tabs for 22oz. bottles. I have reused the same bag for 3 batches and have had no problem with sanitation. But I do spray my hands with alcohol first and during my bottling procedure. ;D

ttreml3

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2003, 05:44:36 AM »
... what about sanitation of the prime tabs?  Once you open the package of prime tabs can't they get infected?

I beleive that the concept is the same with pretzels etc.  There just isn't anything for bacteria to live on.  If they are sitting in a little water, look out, but otherwise they are fine.  The acidity and alcohol content of the finished beer also helps...
Cheers
T

borny

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2003, 04:34:22 AM »
Well, then if there's no real problem with using the prime tabs.....  I best get strarted on bottling!