Author Topic: Yeast starter  (Read 3179 times)

Offline ned

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Yeast starter
« on: February 14, 2016, 08:24:48 AM »
I'm pretty new to home brewing. I made my first ever yeast starter about 36 hours ago of 2L with wyeast 1214. I used fast pitch for my wort. I was planning to brew today but I haven't noticed much color change to the wort. I've been swirling to oxygenate so there is no krausen. How do I know if my starter is ready? Thanks for any advice!

Offline brewfun

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • STAND BACK! I'm going to try Science!
Re: Yeast starter
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 08:37:15 AM »
If you can put an airlock on the starter to check if the starter is active, that'd confirm.

A single piece of cling wrap sealed loosely and sealed with a rubber band would also confirm as it fills. It shouldn't take too long, from a couple minutes to less than an hour to see a change.

Aroma also will tell you it's working. If it smells like green apples, then it's mid ferment and ready to pitch.
Beer Appreciation is the space between pints.

KellerBrauer

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 05:05:42 PM »
Hi Ned, I have - on occasion - simply swirled my starter enough to get some action on the slurry at the bottom.  Doing so, typically caused a rush of C02 to rise from the slurry.  All that said, your best bet is to invest in a stir plate.  They are not that expensive.  You can set it and forget it.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 05:07:32 PM by KellerBrauer »

Offline ned

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 05:33:34 PM »
Brewed last night. Didn't use a blow off hose and came home to a huge mess tonight. I think the starter worked fine! Thanks for the advice!

Offline jtoots

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 08:14:11 AM »
Brewed last night. Didn't use a blow off hose and came home to a huge mess tonight. I think the starter worked fine! Thanks for the advice!

haha that's the attitude!

Offline markbrew

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 08:34:47 AM »
Check the specific gravity.  It is easy to miss the yeast activity in a starter but the SG will tell the truth.

modification