Author Topic: Book: Brew Better Beer by Emma Christensen  (Read 4373 times)

Offline Tom18436572

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • Pass me that church key.
Book: Brew Better Beer by Emma Christensen
« on: February 13, 2016, 06:50:31 AM »
2 out of 10, only for design and typography not content.

I have been borrowing books from my public library on brewing the past several months. After going through the online catalog I came across this book: Brew better Beer by Emma Christensen published in 2015. Seeing as it was new I was hoping for at the very least some recipes that utilize updated techniques and ingredients we have available to us now. What I ended up with was a book I am left scratching my head over how and why it was published.
Every recipe is written for 1 and 5 gallon batches with the 5 gallon information in parentheses, not horrible but annoying. The recipes are formatted in a very awkward way, there is a box on the page with names and volumes of ingredients, but times and temperatures are in the text elsewhere on the page. The first of these recipes is A Very Good American Pale Ale (in fact every style covered begins with "A Very Good...") has a grain bill with Crystal 20L at 25% of the bill! She uses this formula of 75% base grain to 25% Crystal in many of the recipes. When I've used Crystal it's been at most 10% of the bill but usually 5%. Needless to say none of these will be plugged into my copy of BeerSmith, very unlike the time I checked out Gordon Strongs newest book!
After going through the book for an hour or so this persistent "why?" was aching in my head so I went to the back of the book to read "About the Author". Emma Christensen is a recipe editor for an online homecooking website and a culinary school graduate who also home brews. Egads, another gripe: home cooking is two words not one as in her bio (AP style...and English). She also reviewed beer for the Columbus Dispatch. Not necessarily a set of credentials that justify getting a book on home brewing published. Maybe she has industry connections that saw a way to make a quick buck with a pretty book on making beer?

My conclusion: this is the home brewing equivalent of a "coffee table" cookbook, something that would be titled "100 Ways to Cook Chicken in a Crockpot". You might look through it and see a picture and think "Hmm, maybe I should brew an Irish Red Ale next" but then do yourself a favor and find a recipe in another book, or on the BeerSmith cloud!

About the author: I am a culinary school grad, have worked in publishing and I'm married to an editor. I have read and used countless cookbooks and culinary textbooks and I have an expectation on how information on how to cook (brewing is essentially cooking) should be delivered to the person seeking it out.
Never have too much blood in your alcohol stream.