• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Wort Transformation in BeerSmith

Treefingers

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Each year Nebraska Brewing Company does a Wort Transformation Challenge.  They brew a base wort, up to 180 homebrewers come get 5 gallons of it and then can do whatever you want to it and have to bring them back a 6 pack for judging.  The event has gotten a good amount of press over the years if you care to Google it.  Their base wort changes each year but this year it is a basic American pale ale base (85% pale malt, 15% C10, hopped with Warrior and Centennial).  I'm thinking of making an IPL out of this.

Looking for thoughts in terms of how I'd handle this in BeerSmith having the base beer to start with then reboiling.  Presumably the alpha acids in the base wort will continue to isomerize as I reboil and will start doing so as it reheats above 175.  I want to make sure I don't go overboard in creating an overly bitter example.  On top of that I also have to account for volume loss on the base wort adding some additional complexity to the mix.

Just wondering if anyone out in the forum community has tackled something like this before, what methods you used and what worked well or poorly.

Back