• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Golden Promise not in database

Golden Promise is included in one of the Add-Ons in BS2 Desktop Version

Simpsons Golden Promise
Origin: UK
Diastatic: 120 Lintner
SRM: 2
Potential: 1.038
Max: 100%

I'm wondering if there isn't a mistake with that information.  I find Golden Promise listed at about 71 Lintner, not 120.  Can someone tell me why this is?  Mistake or am I misunderstanding something?

A Seller here notes it:
https://www.morebeer.com/products/simpsons-golden-promise-malt.html

And Simpsons lists it between 50 and 75 under the ASBC tab
http://www.simpsonsmalt.co.uk/our-malts/finest-pale-ale-golden-promise/

If you find that your particular lot or supplier is different than what is listed in the grain file, then change it to match the material you have on hand.  I do this with all the base malts I get to reflect the COA for that particular lot.

Greetings Bauer - being that barley is an organic life form, the exact compound makeup cannot be predicted and it will not match from maltster to maltster, region to region and season to season. If I recall, the stats I listed were directly out of BS2. More precise malster specific stats would need to come from your supplier, as Oginme said.  You would then need to adjust the stats with each passing season and if your supplier changes brand or region from which the malt originated.

Also, after reviewing one of the links  you've provided, it seems the method in which the malts diastatic power was tested was the "dry" method.  Below is a quote from the book Malt, A Practical Guide From Field to Brewhouse, by John Mallett:

"The diastatic power listed in a maltsters Certificate of Analysis (COA) is a measure of a malt samples ability to produce sugar from a known quantity of a standardized starch solution. This test can be conducted several ways, but the baseline is a wet chemical method that can take all day to complete."

While I am not a malt expert, it appears there are a variety of reasons why the statistics differ.

Hope this information helps!

Back