• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Strange fermentation help.

Alan0900

Apprentice
Reaction score
I started a 5 gallon batch of all grain Irish red. All has went well up un til now. One half of carboy is making foam in a nice thick white head and as you look to the opposite side the head gradually gets thinner and a darker brown color. What could be be wrong? Any help appreciated.

I have experienced unusual fermentations such as you're describing and I believe, at least in my case, it was because the carboy temperature was not even and consistent.  In my case, the carboy was positioned very close to an outside basement wall where the temperature was naturally cooler.  I have since purchased one of those very inexpensive insulating jackets for my carboy.  But my brews all turned out just fine so I agree with Brewfun, you should be okay.

Thank you guys for the assurance. I do believe it may be the carboy temperature. I had thought of that just never seen it happen. Thanks so much for the replies.

Back