Author Topic: strike water  (Read 5145 times)

jimmy

strike water
« on: November 16, 2003, 06:33:15 AM »
I am using beersmith brewing software and need help with strike water
temp.13.250 pounds of grain at indoor tempt. of 66 f.My
igloo 5 gal  mash tun is stored outside and is 55f.What would be the tempt
of the strike water? Thanks for your help

wbc_leelee

Re: strike water
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2003, 09:51:00 AM »
Hi jimmy
If you are using beersmith then there is a Strike/infusion calculator in the tools menu, you will need to know what mas tem you are aiming for. Also Brad has a good guide for setting up ypur equipmement ie. mash tun. just look in the tips section of this website (i think )
Regards
Andrew

Offline BeerSmith

• Brewer, Author, Patriot
  • BeerSmith Administrator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith - take the guesswork out of brewing!
    • BeerSmith
Re: strike water
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2003, 11:19:04 AM »
Jimmy,
├é┬ The answer is "it depends" only because I don't know what your target temperature is!

├é┬ You can set the grain/tun temperature by pressing on the "Details" button next to the mash profile name in a recipe and then setting the grain/tun temperature.

├é┬ BeerSmith assumes that both the grain and the tun are at the same temperature. ├é┬ However, when I tried it with both a 55 and 66 F setting the difference in strike water temperature was about two degrees.

├é┬ For a Single Infusion, Medium body (154 F step, 1.25 qts per lb) I came up with 166.8 assuming grain/tun are at 66 F and 168.4 assuming both are at 55F. ├é┬ The true value is probably somewhere in the middle, but the grain is the dominant factor (13 lbs of grain vs a 4-5 lb mash tun) so I think somewhere around 167+ would be perfectly acceptable. ├é┬ I personally have trouble reading much closer than a degree on my thermometer in any case.

├é┬ I do recommend taking a look at the equipment setup article as well...

├é┬  http://beersmith.com/equipment_setup.htm

Cheers!
Brad
├é┬ 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2003, 11:41:57 AM by admin »
Get a free trial of BeerSmith 3 here

modification