• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Wort Extract Pilsner Kit - Fermentation Temperature

Drock0711

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi

I'm running into a lot of misinformation and maybe just confusing the situation.

I've brewed wine many times so i thought id try out making beer
I had 3 successful ready-brew kits (just add yeast) & thought I'd try an extract kit and slowly get to making my own wort ect. baby steps.

My problem today is 5 days ago set up the kit following the instructions to the t
I used the yeast the kit came with & there is no aggressive fermentation (which is what I'm used to)
Our room temperature is 18C-20C
I spoke with the local micro brewer I bought my previous kits and he sold me a dry lager yeast
I've added that yesterday and today there is only minimal signs of activation.

What temperature should the room be?
How long does it take to start fermenting vigorously?
Can i somehow save it? Is it a goner?

Please offer your suggestions & feel free to ask any questions

I'm new be gentle

Thanks
D

Attachments

• New Doc 2Page 1
    905.4 KB · Views: 8
The first thing is the yeast viability. Can I assume that the yeast itself was fresh and that you got enough of it for your batch size? Pitching not enough viable yeast delays fermentation as teh yeast multiplies to a sufficient population.

Primary fermentation for beer is very different than for wine. Though both are vigorous, the beer fermentation is more controllable and variable. How close are you to the temperature in your instructions?

One of the primary differences is temperature. A lager yeast is typically going to work more slowly and at a lower temperature than ales and certainly more different than wine.

Beer yeast takes some time to grow (about 12 to 24 hours in optimal conditions), but this can be slowed if there is insufficient wort oxygenation.

The result of the delay isn't catastrophic, but certainly can be improved. As long as your sanitation was good and the fermenter has remained under an airlock, the delay in fermentation will only be annoying.

I'd just leave it and keep it at a stable temperature.

brewfun said:
The first thing is the yeast viability. Can I assume that the yeast itself was fresh and that you got enough of it for your batch size? Pitching not enough viable yeast delays fermentation as teh yeast multiplies to a sufficient population.

Primary fermentation for beer is very different than for wine. Though both are vigorous, the beer fermentation is more controllable and variable. How close are you to the temperature in your instructions?

One of the primary differences is temperature. A lager yeast is typically going to work more slowly and at a lower temperature than ales and certainly more different than wine.

Beer yeast takes some time to grow (about 12 to 24 hours in optimal conditions), but this can be slowed if there is insufficient wort oxygenation.

The result of the delay isn't catastrophic, but certainly can be improved. As long as your sanitation was good and the fermenter has remained under an airlock, the delay in fermentation will only be annoying.

I'd just leave it and keep it at a stable temperature.

Hi
Im pretty much dead on the temperature

Now the yeast i got from my local brewer said room temperature

How do you get wort oxygenation with the air lock on?

Thanks for your reply

Just give it time. It might've already started. If not, it will.

Another thought; if the fermenter is a bucket, the lids are notorious for having a weak seal that lets gas escape. The fermentation could be slow enough that there's not enough back pressure to go through the airlock.

The low temperature and lack of oxygenation have probably contributed to the delay. In the future, rocking and shaking the fermenter before fermentation to get air into the wort, is the easiest way to help the yeast. A quick search for "wort aeration" will give you about a million other methods.

brewfun said:
Just give it time. It might've already started. If not, it will.

Another thought; if the fermenter is a bucket, the lids are notorious for having a weak seal that lets gas escape. The fermentation could be slow enough that there's not enough back pressure to go through the airlock.

The low temperature and lack of oxygenation have probably contributed to the delay. In the future, rocking and shaking the fermenter before fermentation to get air into the wort, is the easiest way to help the yeast. A quick search for "wort aeration" will give you about a million other methods.

Awesome

Do you think it's too late to transfer to the glass carboy?

Back