• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bell's water profile

chrismhaney

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Toured Bell's last weekend. The guide said they use Kalamazoo city water. Does anyone have the analysis? My searches came up empty.

They're a public government entity, this information is freely available (FOIA) IF YOU ASK. Just call the K'zoo Water Department, M-F between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. at (269) 337-8149 or email them at cokpublicservices@kalamazoocity.org. However, where the brewery actually sources its water from may be different. Based on the limestone-derived geology of almost all of southern Michigan, the water it likely to be rather hard, with a lot of dissolved Ca+ and Mg++ and other particulates. I've never been there, but the brewery likely filters (reverse osmosis, distillation, etc.) depending on the beer style.

Further to my post, I also suggest visiting the USGS Water Quality website - http://water.usgs.gov/owq/hardness-alkalinity.html. The USGS water-resource division is an outstanding, science-vetted outlet (I used to work for them) with information most useful for brewers. This link has a map that has a general alkalinity map of the 48 states of the USA. Haven't found a similar map for Canada, but, with the exception of the Niagara Escarpment, areas with glacial till deposition, the prairie lands and eastern Rockies, a lot of the water is derived from very old geology and thin soils, thus is quite soft.

Back