• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bitter taste to stout.

Dbhall

Apprentice
Reaction score
I currently have what was supposed to be scotch ale fermenting but due to the addition of roast malt had ended up as a stout type ale.  However after 14 days in primary there is quite a bitter roasted finish to the taste.  Should I a) wing it and bottle next week and hope the roasted bitter aftertaste rounds out or b) add some lactose when priming to round out the beer?  It's currently not undrinkable but the aftertaste is a bit harsh.  Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Can you share the recipe that you used.  This would help us.  We might be able to tell what caused the harsh bitter roasted flavor.  That way, we might be able to tell you how we would handle it, if it were our brew.

4kg pale malt
1kg Munich malt
0.2kg chocolate malt
0.2kg roasted malt
0.4kg caramel malt
20gms saaz for 60 mins
40gms hallertauer 60 mins
20 g cascade for 15 mins.

White labs scotch ale yeast
O.G. 1.064
Been two weeks in primary

The aftertaste is similar to that of burnt toast, slightly bitter.
I'm reasonably certain the problem is too much roast malt.  Is there a remedy or do I just need to be patient.

Your problem is most likely in mashing all that dark grain and the tannins. Tannins (polyphenols) create an astringent or bitter flavor. I don't know what type of system you brew on but you might want to read up on vorlauf. I like to batch sparge so after the mash out I drain the mash tun, add the sparge water, and then add the dark grains and recirculate for 15 minutes before draining. For a fly sparge when the mash has ended do mash out, add the dark grain recirculate for 15 minutes and then sparge. All the magic for dark grains happens in the first 15 minutes.

Tannins can also be created by sparging to long or at to high of a temperature. A mash ph of over 5.5 prone to tannin extraction.

How much do you like stouts?  A half-pound of roasted and a half-pound of chocolate may make a nice a stout, but you said you first intended to make a scotch ale. 

It may simply be a mis-match of expectations, and/or your personal enjoyment level for roasted flavors was exceeded. 

I agree with Maltlicker that it is probably more down to the recipe than the process. It will mellow a bit given some time. I would just leave it alone and delete the roasted barley on the next batch.

Add a teaspoon of lactose to a glass of your Scottish/Stout.

So after my initial impatience and worry,  it has actually mellowed to a really nice stout chocolatey and malty.  Quite sturdy with plenty body but tasty.  Would definitely make again with or without roasted malt.  Will experiment with some lactose but as it stands the longer I leave it in the bottles the better its getting

Back