Author Topic: Brewing With Coffee  (Read 11111 times)

Offline bobo1898

• Instagram @bierdedbrewing
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Beer Brewed By Men With Beards
Re: Brewing With Coffee
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2015, 08:54:17 AM »
The beer turned out great. I highly recommend trying the method I ended up going with. You can see two pictures below.

I would be curious to try the whole bean method and cold conditioning for a week. I still would probably stick with letting the beer finish out before introducing any form of coffee.

PRIMARY
   Patersbier
SECONDARY
ON DECK
   Wild Ale on Blackberries w/ Champagne yeast
   BA Sour Kolsch w/ Cherries
SERVED/STILL ENJOYING
   Dbl Choc Imperial Stout
   Wild Ale with Champagne yeast
   BA Espresso Milk Stout
   BA RIS
   BA RIS w/ bannanas, cinammon, almonds
   BA Golden Strong Ale

Offline Stillraining

• BeerSmith Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 could be better!
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2015, 10:03:03 AM »
The beer turned out great. I highly recommend trying the method I ended up going with. You can see two pictures below.

I would be curious to try the whole bean method and cold conditioning for a week. I still would probably stick with letting the beer finish out before introducing any form of coffee.

wow,  that looks very nice...your pictures are making me salivate.

Offline Bierbreth

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2015, 12:01:57 PM »
@ bobo1898: congrats on getting your beer to turn out great.  It looks gorgeous!  I just wanted to ring in on the whole-bean method to give you some input.  I brew a coffee IPA, in an attempt to replicate Fort George Brewing's Java the Hop.  I talked to the brewer there, in Astoria, OR, and he suggested I add whole beans to secondary, carefully sorted to eliminate "quakers"--unripe beans that got roasted--and then taste after a week to test for coffee flavors, and go from there.  I ended up doing exactly that, and got amazing results after a week in secondary.  The pro also said to be careful not to let the beans--which I put into a muslin bag--sit in the trub at the bottom.  He said it caused some off flavors for him when that happened.  I suspended the bag by string and got the aforementioned great results.  I tried the same recipe with the beans cracked--but not ground--to see if I could get more or different coffee flavor.  I'd say the flavor was different, but no stronger; maybe slightly earthier.  In any case, half of my beer-aficionado buddies said that batch #1 was spot-on for Java the Hop, and the other half said that #2 was spot-on.  Nobody said it was a miss, and it has now--several batches in--become one of the favorites on my taps; a true house beer for me now!  I always say that if something works, lock it down, but continue to experiment!  Try the whole bean method, for sure, and best of luck achieving the perfect balance you're seeking!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 12:07:09 PM by Bierbreth »

Offline bobo1898

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2015, 12:12:21 PM »
Sounds awesome! Did you cold condition it with the beans, or simply at fermentation temperatures?
PRIMARY
   Patersbier
SECONDARY
ON DECK
SERVED/STILL ENJOYING
   Dbl Choc Imperial Stout
   BA Espresso Milk Stout
   BA RIS
   BA Golden Strong Ale

Offline Bierbreth

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2015, 05:43:44 PM »
It was at fermentation for about six days, then I cold crashed it for 24 hours or so with the beans still in.  I took them out when I kegged the beer.  I wish I had a comparison to give you with the same technique and making a stout.  I just thought that if whole beans could impart such amazing flavors and aroma in a hoppy IPA-type beer, they should probably give similarly good results in a maltier beer, I would hope.

Offline Maybeebrewer2

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2015, 06:14:59 PM »
I just bottled my "Espresso Stout" and I find the amount of coffee flavour is perfect.
I finely ground 30g of espresso roast beans and made 2 double shots of espresso with a hand pull espresso press. I added the espresso directly to the primary just before pitching the yeast. The head retention may have been affected. I may try adding the espresso to the secondary next time as the vigor of the primary fermentation may have stripped some of the coffee flavour.

Offline bobo1898

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2016, 09:02:48 PM »
I just bottled my "Espresso Stout" and I find the amount of coffee flavour is perfect.

How did this turn out when it was fully conditioned?
PRIMARY
   Patersbier
SECONDARY
ON DECK
SERVED/STILL ENJOYING
   Dbl Choc Imperial Stout
   BA Espresso Milk Stout
   BA RIS
   BA Golden Strong Ale

Offline kevin_br

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2016, 07:23:38 AM »
i brewed a blonde yesterday and i wish i could get the coffee aroma on it. i've been reading up on the techniques for about 2 months or so and i'm still in doubt. anyone ever tried adding coffee to a light colored beer?

Offline bobo1898

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2016, 07:00:53 PM »
i brewed a blonde yesterday and i wish i could get the coffee aroma on it. i've been reading up on the techniques for about 2 months or so and i'm still in doubt. anyone ever tried adding coffee to a light colored beer?

I have not but I imagine you wouldn't want to add brewed coffee to it because it would affect the color. Whole bean in secondary is probably the approach but with limited exposure.

Earlier in the post, I mentioned that I tested beans with water since a brewer recommended placing them in secondary for a week at 50 degrees. My water turned black. Perhaps you would put your beans in secondary a day before bottling/kegging or a few days before. I imagine this limited exposure would preserve your color while taking on some coffee attributes.

I've never tried this with a blonde so I'm not certain. Obviously with a stout or porter, you're not worried about the color as much.
PRIMARY
   Patersbier
SECONDARY
ON DECK
SERVED/STILL ENJOYING
   Dbl Choc Imperial Stout
   BA Espresso Milk Stout
   BA RIS