• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Am I a lager, beer, or just plain hooch?

Viirin

Apprentice
Reaction score
I used what I had on hand to start with, and added a bunch of stuff I thought might be good ideas from various sources. Best way to do anything, right? Well, below is my ingredients list and such.

Ingredients (exact amounts I forgot to record for most things)
-1 package dehydrated kiwi
-1 package dehydrated papaya
-1 fresh kiwi
-1 package strawberries
-1 package blueberries
-1 package raspberries
-1 cantaloupe
-1 honeydew melon
-1 pineapple
-1 package red grapes
-1 bottle Welch's grape juice
-1 bottle strawberry syrup (like Hershey's chocolate, but it's generic strawberry)
-2 cups pep-o-mint lifesaver dust
-1 cup sugar
-2 cups dissolved candycane in water (Thick! I used one of those giant candycane rods. It looked like Pepto-Bismol.)
-1 1/2 cup boiled Dr.Pepper (I boiled down 5 liters into that much liquid. A video on youtube I saw said that soda boils down to a weird paste that I thought would make a good soda-flavored molasses but since the stuff was still liquid that was obviously a lie.)

Right now, it's in 5 single-liter water bottles. Maybe 1.5 liter? They have drinky tops so I can let the air out periodically without it exploding. It fermented in one or two bottles within a week, but the fifth one took forever. So I mixed them all in a big bucket a couple weeks ago and split them as evenly as I could- and shored up the liquid lines with strawberry syrup and grape juice. The color is dark and thick, and looks like a deep Clamato. Maybe I should take pictures... I'll add them as attachments or links or something in a reply. There isn't enough sun out yet to take a good photo. I've been keeping all the bottles in my pantry; that way no direct sunlight ever gets to them. I keep my windows covered with dark blinds all the time anyway, so I'm sure no light ever touched them (until today when I take the pictures).

I really like Boone's Fuzzy Navel, so that's why I chose the kiwi. I didn't think pure citrus would be a great idea, so I chose melons. I LOVE Raspberry Lambic, so that's why I chose the raspberries. I chose the other berries because I could afford them at the time. The cotton candy I bought, but I didn't like the flavor as much as I'd liked to, so I used it as sugar. I chose the other flavored candy sugars because I really like mint. The grape juice I already had, so I dumped it in cuz... why not? The syrup I used because it's sugar and berry flavored, and its mostly mint berry/melon, so...

Ok here's a picture of as many as I could get in the screen.

Attachments

• Mine.png
    Mine.png
    199 KB · Views: 431
pretty wild concoction!  was there a yeast in the mix that i missed amongst all the ingredients?

No added yeast. I just let the berries start to ferment while floating, and the color of the water/juice changed, and saw bubbles on top. Even more when I closed and shook it! So the only yeast in there is naturally occurring from the ingredients.
I had better go burp it again...
Okay the one bottle that was "super alive" doesn't seem active now. If I shake it it wakes up, though. That's the lightest color one. Maybe I need more fruit juice? I guess I can hit up the store in a few days and buy a couple kiwi and a package of berries of some kind, I guess.

Now, I had initially been keeping low amounts (okay a lot actually) of the fruit itself in the mix, then periodically drain the liquid through a strainer into something else, chuck the fruit, rinse the bottles out, then put the liquid back in. Had to- the liquid kept expanding and I needed to make room.

Nope, don't even know what that means. Guessing its a thingy that measures oxygen level or something?

Not oxygen, but sugar content.  It tells you how much sugar you have available to convert to alchohol.

Ah, okay. No, I don't have a sensor for anything I should have it for... this is my first batch and I don't ever drink, so I wanted to test it out as gifts to my neighbors (they asked) before I put any money into it.
I think someone told me that at this stage, it's just poison and I have to do something to it to make it drinkable.

I think I'm at that stage now. What do I have to do to make it safe?

Back