• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adjusting mash temperature

I too had trouble hitting my temps initially but I found a way to make it work for me. I noted the actual change in temp compared to predicted (averaged over several similar mashes). I then adjusted the MASS of the mash tun until the predicted temps matched the observed ones (adjust temps for equipment checked). Now Beersmith calculates my strike water temp correctly and I  hit my temp no mater the size of the mash. Like many things in Beersmith it takes some fiddling and adjustment but it is well worth the effort to get it right.

I don't see a MASS parameter for the Mash Tun. I tried adjusting the weight but it had no effect on the predicted temp for the infusion temp. My temp needed is always a solid 10 degrees above my desired mash temp but I can't seem to set this adjustment anywhere and the BS temp is always about two degrees higher than I need.

In your equipment profile, 'Mash Tun Weight'.  I did something similar to Tom in measuring the temperature drop from strike water temperature versus temperature in the mash tun.  Since I had an accurate weight on the mash tun, I adjusted the mash tun specific heat until BeerSmith matched my results.

Cisco said:
My temp needed is always a solid 10 degrees above my desired mash temp but I can't seem to set this adjustment anywhere and the BS temp is always about two degrees higher than I need.

In the Mash tab, under the mash profile selector, there's a box marked "Adjust Temp for Equipment." Make sure it's checked.

My mash tun specific heat is set to 0 and I do not have the box checked for Adjust Temp for Equipment and the temp calculated by BS is 2 degrees too high. Any other thoughts?

Cisco said:
Any other thoughts?

The Grain Temperature and Mash Tun Temperature entries in the Mash tab play an active role in the strike calculation. Make sure the grain temperature entry is correct.

Is your thermometer calibrated properly? Typically this isn't a real issue, but occasionally....

If you are still perfectly accurate, then the error is most likely in your strike water volume. It would seem that you are adding more volume than you anticipated in BeerSmith. This would account for the added weight and heat needed to be two degrees off.

I changed my grain temp from 72 to 80 on the mash tab and now the strike temp is the 10 degrees I was looking for. Thanks!!

Back