• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BeerSmith2 > How to add Buckwheat as an ingredients

VVV

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi all brewers!

I'm having a troubles to add Castle Malting's Buckwheat as an ingredients (grain). Unfortunately Castle Malting'st website does not give much information from it. Does anyone know good settings or have a same problem? I added my "work in progress" CHÂTEAU BUCKWHEAT settings in the attachments. Thanks for the help!

Castle Malting, CHÂTEAU BUCKWHEAT:
http://www.castlemalting.com/ServicesPDF/CastleMaltingMaltSpecificationPDF.asp?Command=QualityParametersPDF&SpecificationID=201&CropYear=2014&Language=English

Attachments

• CHÂTEAU BUCKWHEAT.png
    CHÂTEAU BUCKWHEAT.png
    265.6 KB · Views: 616
The extract yield you have is correct. Your color is middle of the range they list, so you're good there, too.

The diastatic number gets tricky, because you can't get full conversion until you gelatinize the starches. Gelatinization is when water infuses into the starch molecules, making them available to enzymes. Even if there is diastatic potential in the grain, the gelatinization temperature of Buckwheat is about 77C (170F), which is above the denaturing temperature of the enzymes. That makes the diastatic potential a zero.

You'll get the best yield from decocting all or most of the buckwheat. You'll definitely want rice hulls, too. Buckwheat is huskless.

If you're making a regular beer, then no less than 50% pale malt will assure conversion. Just add the boiled buckwheat to the main mash. BeerSmith will calculate the temperature change, so you can hit conversion temp.

If you're making a Gluten Free beer; boiling the Buckwheat with a lot of water and rice hulls, then adding cold water to bring the temp down in order to add enzymes, should get you the most bang for your buck.

Either way, I think Buckwheat needs more time to fully convert than an all barley mash.

Back