• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Heat exchange engineering question

pacerra

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello, This is my first post, I'm hoping I am in the correct forum.

I'm researching HERMS and started thinking about time efficient heat exchange-- I'm trying to figure out how many feet of 1/2 inch copper/stainless steel tubing I would need to raise the temperature of 10 gallons of wort flowing through the tube while the tube is coiled and fully immersed in  a tank of near boiling water.  The wort in the tube starts at 150 degrees f and the water in the tank is  200 f. I would like to raise thetemperature in the wort to 160 in about 5 minutes. I assume I can get the wort to flow at least 2 gpm. any other thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks
Paul

Try a 50 foot coil. My 25 footer was too slow to do that, so I don't do it that way anymore. Also very hard to clean the coil afterward.
It did work, but too labour intensive and took too long for me.

Go with the 50 foot coil.  I use a coil that allows me to recirculate the heat exchange water, this gives me an even temp throughout the tank. The same coil is used to whirlpool hops & to chill the wort.  For cleaning I just recirculate near boiling water through it. You can use a little PBW to clean too.  I have a 2 pump system, I alternate which pump is for wort and which is for water, helps with the cleaning.

This is my day to agree with h3. A 50-foot coil works well. I also circulate wort through the coil during the mash, then circulate water while chilling.

You asked about circulating 150F wort through a heat-exchanger coil in order to raise the temp to 160F. This sounds similar to a Hockhurz mash, something I've begun doing for all my lagers and some ales. When I'm raising the wort temp I try to keep the water bath cool enough that the wort will not get hot enough while passing through the coil to denature the enzymes I want active. Considering the limited time the wort spends at the elevated temperature of the water bath, this may be an unfounded concern. I monitor the temperature of the wort returning from the heat-exchanger coil to stoke my concern; the returning wort is consistently within 1 degree of the water bath. During a Hockhurz mash I'm targeting 145F then 158F. Raising the temp from mash-in at 78F to 145, I hold my water bath at about 150F. Going from 145F to 158F I hold the water bath at about 160 - 162F. The temperature initially rises very quickly then slows as the wort approaches the water bath temperature - no surprise there - so the rise time can be quite long.

So, here's the question: is h3 pacerra risking denaturing enzymes by using a 200F heat-exchanger bath, or am I wasting my time trying to keep those enzymes cool? WAGs and experimental data welcomed!

Sorry for the confusion.  I should clarify.  I do not keep the heat exchange tank near 200.  I try and keep the heatEX 2 to 5 degrees above the mash temp. This maintains my hast temp in the tun.  What is a Hockhurz mash?

I generally have my mash water recirculating as I bring the water up to the mash in point.  Add my grains and monitor my mash & exchange temps.  I usually mash at 148.  My rig is manual. 

Doh! Sorry, I said H3 when I meant pacerra. "Is pacerra risking denaturing the enzymes or am I wasting my time?" I'll edit my previous comment to correct the mistake.

H3, it sounds like your system is very similar to mine: minimal automation (to reachand hold the water bath temp) and recirculating through a heat-exchanger/immersion chiller.

A Hockhurz mash is a step mash with rests near the middle of first the Beta amylase range, then near the top of the Alpha amylase range. I've been pleased with the results. I get reasonably good attenuation and body by using Hockhurz. I lengthen the Beta rest and shorten the Alpha rest to lighten the body a bit, or shorten the Beta and lengthen the Alpha to increase the body. I'm not sure it makes a lot of difference, but it's interesting exploring the question. I THINK I'm getting more body to make session beers seem more robust by mashing at ~145F for 30 minutes and ~158F for 60 minutes. Eventually I may convince myself it's working. At the moment, I'm still just playing around and taking lots of notes.

THANKS, sound like we are doing the same thing.  I brew mainly Belgiums and Pilsners.  In general preferring drier beers  That is the fun part always tweaking I doubt if I ever will have a permanent rig.

Back