Author Topic: Becks pale ale etc.  (Read 3540 times)

Offline c_smith

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Becks pale ale etc.
« on: April 23, 2015, 06:37:56 AM »
I had heard it was coming, but didn't know when. Now Becks has released their pale ale, amber lager, and an alternative Pilsner. I'm curious, did they release these in the states as well? Here in Germany, where craft beer and home brewing is moving a bit slower than in the States, it's still interesting to see how a major industrial producer of beer has reacted to the craft beer movement. I tasted the pale and yesterday, and wasn't terribly impressed. But that's just me. I think it tasted a little bit like what would happen if you took a good pale ale and tried to make it taste like a pilsner. But I guess that makes sense, here in Germany most people grow up thinking that if a beer doesn't taste like a pilsner then it really isn't beer. Your thoughts?

Offline Maine Homebrewer

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
Re: Becks pale ale etc.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 04:08:08 PM »
Budweiser came out with what they called American Ale a year or so back. It tasted like, well, an ale made by Bud. Now that I think about it I haven't seen it on the shelves in a while.
"To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems!" -Homer Simpson

Offline Roadrocket

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • I've tried jogging but I kept spilling my beer
Re: Becks pale ale etc.
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 12:57:04 PM »
It's hard to see who they are aiming these new beers at. Real ale and craft beer drinkers won't be interested. Neither will lager drinkers. They'll have to do some very clever marketing unless the Beer is exceptional, which I doubt.
When the sun beats down and I lie on the bench, I can always hear them talk.
Me, I'm just a lawnmower - you can tell me by the way I walk.

modification