• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

What's cooking this weekend?

BeerSmith

Staff member
Administrator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I'm brewing a Bavarian Weizen this weekend...how about you?

Cheers!
Brad

I'm not brewing anything, but I am cooking my liver starting pretty soon! Today's brewpub day -- haven't been there in a while, so I thought I'd take the opportunity today to go and have a nice liquid lunch.

Cheers (hick)! :D

Nuffin'! Back to back weekend AG batches that didn't turn out so hot took their toll. Tonight I kegged my stout after 5 days in primary for cask conditioning (it was once called "Keep It Simple Stout", but is now going to be known as "Big Fat Flop of a Stout"). Ordinarily, I'd go a little longer than that for cask conditioning, but this beer started at 1.031... hardly going to need much conditioning.

In the meantime, I might be scoring some kegs to convert for AG this weekend or shortly thereafter. Whee!

More pressing, however, is getting the lawn cleaned up... snow is beginning to fall.

Colin - Have faith!

Remember that Guiness draft has a very low OG - around 1.035 or so and it is one of my all time favorites.  Your stout may be just fine.

All grain has its own rewards - but it does take a bit of time to work out all the kinks.

Brad

Well, now that I've resolved the thermometer wackiness issue, the faith has returned. It's just more time than I can invest this weekend, though, to brew another batch. Maybe next weekend...

I'm not so much worried about the low gravity of the stout, as I am with the fact that I put about 42-43 IBUs in there, and I don't want all the roasty goodness to be squashed by excessive bitterness. Live and learn, I guess. For some reason, I only ended up with a little over 4 gallons in the keg. I really have to get this volume thing figured out as well. Of course, my boiling equipment leaves a little to be desired, hence the reason that I'm exploring keg conversion options.

Thanks for the support, and one of these days, I will meet with AG success!

Colin,
 Not to belabor the issue, but my stock Dry Stout recipe (which I've brewed at least 5 times - I always have some on hand)  frequently comes out with an OG in the range of 1.036-1.038 and 44.2 IBUs!

It happens to be very yummy!  

I think your stout might be just fine once its aged.

Brad

Hey, no worries about belaboring the issue... that's the reassurance I need! I'm considering taking this keg to a family Christmas party, and if it'll be anything like parties of the past, it'll be prudent if it's a little lower ABV!

I definitely want to brew this one again once I get the rest of my gear set up, and have my techniques down. It smelled awesome while it was brewing!

Back