• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Help! Summit aroma issues!

ahickey13

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I recently brewed five gallons of an IPA using:
5 1/4 gallons filtered spring water
7lbs extra pale LME
1/2 lb Crystal 20
1/2 lb marris otter
1 package alcohol boost from Austin homebrew
1/2 package brewvint body builder
2 vials white labs WLP001
1.25 oz cascade for bittering @60 min
1oz falconers flight for flavor @15
1oz galaxy @10 and
1oz Summit@5
OG : 1.070
I read about the summit being a good late hop addition for Orange and tangerines aromas, but it left my wort smelling like garlic. It has only been a few days. Will the garlic smell age out? Would it be beneficial to dry hop with a few ounces of falconers flight to try and mask the garlic aroma? Or should I count my losses and remake without the summit? I was hoping to make a clean citrusy IPA for summer and am pretty concerned. Any help would be verrrrry appreciated! Thanks guys!

Summit can be garlicky/oniony.  Since hoppy beers are meant to be drunk fresh while hoppy, your best bet is probably to mask with other hops. 

I figured, just wondering if there was any other options or if it might fade out eventually. Thank you!

Galaxy can also be oniony according to the head brewer at MBC.
I would caution you that Cascade stores poorly and you probably won't get the bitterness you are looking for. I have switched to Centennial and had much better results.

Back